Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 13-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #51
kim davies
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kim davies

oh no how sad.ive seen that advert around quite afew times.how he lost his beloved tortoises in a house fire.x
Old 13-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #52
joathome
Adult

I also saw that advert a while back.
How very sad for the torts
Old 13-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #53
janeL
Sub Adult

Woah I missed this my thread! I am afraid I do want two pence here... No I am not afraid actually, that is what forum discussion boards are about. As long as I am not offensive I can give my opinions...

I for one am proud to be part of a forum that seeks to promote a high standard of care for tortoises and I do not understand wh any one who enjoys keeping them would not want to attain a high standard them selves. In the past Zoo's kept animals in cages, they noticed odd behaviours, illness and often death. They soon began to realise that perhaps they needed to alter the way they kept their animals. They looked to the wild to find out how they should live and nowdays strive to maintain as natural as possible environments for their animals. The results are proven... healthier animals and more successful breeding programmes.

So anyone who calls themself a herp keeper, surely must have an interest in them and thus want the best for them. If we can see that something needs to change, why not speak out? Sulcata2big did... ok the guy didn't want to listen, thats his choice. I am sorry the RSPCA couldn't see the problem and in my opinion and it is just my opinion, perhaps they need to change and update just like the Zoo's did. Sulcata2big then expressed his disgust and distress... fine, he is entitled to this. We can then choose to react and we did, because we care for Torts and the advancement of their care, we were disgusted and distressed too. No names were mentioned, nothing slanderous was said. No ones reputation damaged, no one witch hunted. Freedoom of speech is a great thing.

I too am sorry the guy had a fire. But my opinion is, that in some way I am glad those torts who were ill and suffering are suffering no more. It could have gone on for decades.

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
janeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #54
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I've only just seen this thread too, Sulcata good for you, we should never be put off reporting what we see, its up to everyone else to form their own opinion. I too have seen the ads, puts a new slant on it doesn't it (the ad I mean) All any of us can do is to try to pass on info and advice to those less inclined to keep their tort keeping skills up to date
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #55
ThomasClan
Hatched

Ref to janeL comment "I too am sorry the guy had a fire. But my opinion is, that in some way I am glad those torts who were ill and suffering are suffering no more. It could have gone on for decades." If he is advertising to get more will it not happen all over again??

The only comment I have is there is not enough correct information out there for people, too many reptile places give the wrong information also, hence I was sold a 6ft viv with orchid bark for tunisian tortoises. I could of bought tortoises from them but I gave a home to 3 tunisians (they were supposed to be Hermans ) I could not leave them in the invironement they were in and bought the tiny viv they were in and brought them home. The Rspca are sometimes not very pro active I have had first hand experience of their poor handling of a situation which ended up in an 18 month old horse being distroyed as they did not act on the neglect.
Jay JRT Old lady of 16 (17 this year)
Bilbo the Rabbit old man 9 years
Oh and the Hamsters Thunder and Lightning (I must be mad)
ThomasClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #56
chloe
Egg

I have seen this advert on preloved, still there. So what is this man doing, playing on people's emotions, what if an old lady can no longer take care of her tort that she has had for many years, reads his advert, then places her much loved tort with this man, and the old dear thinks she has a loving home for her much loved tort, and the poor tort has to live with other reptiles etc, i do not know about anybody elses torts but i have a 15 year old tort, and 10 other torts ranging from 1 to 9, and the 15 year old tort will not mix with the rest of them, she thinks she is top dog. and looks down on the rest of them, torts have feelings and get attached to their owners, and everyone of my 11 torts all have their own personalities, some are lady like others are wee tom boyz. i would hate to think of a loving family pet ended up as a price tag
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #57
tortilicious
Hatched

Hi i know this is a very old thread but i can def say this guy has 2 marginated hatchlings with no certs as he stol them off me! i got to know this guy as he worked in our local reptile shop at this moment it time i did not have a incubator and this man said i cuould put my eggs in his incubator and i trusted him so i did but if feb this year when two of the marinateds hatched he contacted me to tell me but when i asked to bring the hatchlings back home we fell out and he kept both hatchlings and all 11 eggs of mine so i know that atleast two of his torts have no cert i did report this to defra but all they could do is take this mans details and if he tries to register the hsatchlings they will take it from there i also contacted the police re the theft but they said i had no proof the eggs was mine and possession is nine thents of the law so they couldnt do anything either so if anyone has any suggestions pleasde let me know, i caN vouch for sulcata2big there where tors with legs missing kept in tank way too small and diffrent species alltogether, no correct heating or lighting but my main concern was the cramped conditions thats hy the fire started a very very large sanke kept in a enclosure too small got out and shorted the dodge wiring wich caused the fire i saw the devisation it casued it was horrrific.
tortilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #58
gtm
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortilicious View Post
Hi i know this is a very old thread but i can def say this guy has 2 marginated hatchlings with no certs as he stol them off me! i got to know this guy as he worked in our local reptile shop at this moment it time i did not have a incubator and this man said i cuould put my eggs in his incubator and i trusted him so i did but if feb this year when two of the marinateds hatched he contacted me to tell me but when i asked to bring the hatchlings back home we fell out and he kept both hatchlings and all 11 eggs of mine so i know that atleast two of his torts have no cert i did report this to defra but all they could do is take this mans details and if he tries to register the hsatchlings they will take it from there i also contacted the police re the theft but they said i had no proof the eggs was mine and possession is nine thents of the law so they couldnt do anything either so if anyone has any suggestions pleasde let me know, i caN vouch for sulcata2big there where tors with legs missing kept in tank way too small and diffrent species alltogether, no correct heating or lighting but my main concern was the cramped conditions thats hy the fire started a very very large sanke kept in a enclosure too small got out and shorted the dodge wiring wich caused the fire i saw the devisation it casued it was horrrific.
File a claim in the County Court seeking an order requiring him to 'deliver up' the hatchlings. They're your property & bearing in mind he had his collection wiped out I would think you have a good chance of success.
gtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #59
Steph37
Hatched

My first Horsfield was given me by a parent of a special needs child because she felt it 'needed more affetion!?!!' He's doing really well now, but she said she got them from the local market. I wanted to know who to contact as was told (not by them themselves) that this isnt in their remit. Who would you contact? I've not seen them myself but have thought about trying to visit to rescue some and act naive and get some info about them -but then thought they'll only continue to get more from wherever they are getting them from I assume? How do you contact DEFRA? Just on the national number?
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote