Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
hayl_b
Egg

Default Hibernation

Hi. We have a horsefield tortoise and are looking to hibernate him this year and was wondering when to start this and any advice on what to actually do.

We've had him a few years now but keep him in an indoor enclosure and normally keep him awake all year but feel it is now time to start hibernating, especially as he has been sleeping a lot for a while now.

I understand you can hibernate them in the fridge, we have a spare one in the garage I was going to use. We are also going to take him to the vets to make sure he is well enough to hibernate.

Thanks
Old 17-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there. CB on this forum keeps horsfields and will keep you right but here are a couple of points to get started!

I use a standard larder fridge with no icebox and it works well. My suggestion is to bring the fridge indoors in case temps in garage go too low. Best to get fridge up and running and a stable temp established well in advance. I use a thermometer with a probe on a wire and shut the door on the wire and the display on top of the fridge. Then I can check the temp without opening the door too much.

The basics of preparing for hibernation are stopping food and reducing heat and light. You will want a schedule and larger ones wind down over a longer period than small ones. Your vet will likely check for worms and ask you how the tortoise has been over the last few months.

Stand by for more information!

The basics
Old 18-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
hayl_b
Egg

[QUOTE=Ozric Jonathan;675846]Hi there. CB on this forum keeps horsfields and will keep you right but here are a couple of points to get started!

Thank you for the info... Lots for us to start thinking about.
Old 19-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
GemJam
Incubating

Hi,

I've only hibernated twice and find there is a good guide on the tortoise trust website called new hibernation.

I stop feeding my tort, but ensure she still has clean water daily to let her wind down. I also start to reduce the number of hours the lamp is on, however my tort reduces the hours she is awake without me doing this.

I then keep an eye on poo to make sure that before she goes in to hibernation she hasn't done any in a while, making sure there is nothing left in her system, which could rot and cause issues.

I have a spare fridge, which I fill (except for one shelf) with with bottles of water and turn on for a week before my tort goes in to hibernation to ensure the temperature is stabilised. As previously recommended keep the fridge indoors (not in a garage where the external temperature fluctuates), without an freezer compartment and I have a thermometer on a wire with an display which magnetizes to my fridge door.

I put my tort in to a Celebrations tub, with shredded paper and holes that are drilled in to the lid, so she can breathe. But the container you use will depend on your torts size, mine is 5 years old, so fits in one nicely.

Then in she goes, I monitor the temperature to be around 5 degrees and open the door for a short time daily to let fresh air circulate. I check her once weekly to ensure there is no excretion.

Again, I have only done this twice, the first time I only hibernated for 8 weeks and the second time I did it for 12 weeks, starting in October/November. This was initiated by my tort, as I could tell she wanted to wind down, due to lower activity levels. Both were successful, thankfully.

Do your research and choose a method that suits you and most importantly your tort.

I can't comment if hibernation is different for Horsefields, as I don't keep them, but there will be guidance on this somewhere.

Good luck. xx

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #5
hayl_b
Egg

[QUOTE=GemJam;675848]Hi,

I've only hibernated twice and find there is a good guide on the tortoise trust website called new hibernation.

Thank you for the advice GemJam... Lots of useful information.
Old 22-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

hello there HaylB, yes all good advice. In West Yorkshire you probably don't need a fridge though if wish to save a little money on the 'ol electric. Horsfields are very good hibernators I have found and they will stop eating towards the end of August, even sometimes if indoors, so rule of thumb , stop feeding for a month when weather (temps) are warm enough for all food to pass through, then over 3 - 4 weeks further depending on size of Tortoise they should be purged. It's stating the obvious but if you feed tortoises and they do eat (like piggy little Horsfields do as they buck the trend), and then the temps drop the food won't pass through enough or in time, temps don't rise again and the food will rot inside the tortoise, blow up, and the gases and toxins will kill him. Sooooo make sure the temps are enough for the food to pass through, not too high they expel energy, or too warm they dehydrate (so consider bathing prior to boxing up, though in over 25 years I have never once bathed my Horsfields prior to hibernation, but I do keep a 'weathered' eye).
Then just let them naturally slow down and you should know when it's time to wrap them up or fridge hibernate. My usual aim is everyone away first week in November. Weighing is best practice too so you can keep an eye on whether the bladder goes, or they lose too much weight. Check weekly, I prod and probe my on their back legs for retraction. If in fridge - daily - to let in oxygen. Tortoise hearts beat around once every three minutes (or is it 3 times every minute, a quiz for you...) so it's not critical if you miss a few hours. If naturally hibernating or in a box then it's easier to see when they stir and begin to wake. Fridge is more controlled so benefits on both.
I love the fact my lot come out all on the same day as each other in a row - you know usually spring is here then or rule of thumb again the temps have reached 12 degrees 3 days in a row. Don't be scared , it sounds worse than it actually is - I would say trust in the judgement of the tortoise but don't give Horsfields food as they will gobble it down usually, CB
Old 23-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
hayl_b
Egg

[QUOTE=CherryBrandy;675853]hello there HaylB, yes all good advice. In West Yorkshire you probably don't need a fridge though if wish to save a little money on the 'ol electric. Horsfields are very good hibernators I have found and they will stop eating towards the end of August...

Thank you for the advice CB all sounds very useful and good.
Old 24-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

One of my Hermanns is already hibernating. That was about 2 weeks later than last year. The other one will be going in soon. They did 6 months and 5 months last year
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

that's pretty good going isn't Alan. My lot are similar they will go down end of August sometimes (or at least not eat or move for 4 weeks as they bury) and not get up til March. time and because I do natural hibernation they choose and I find it incredible sometimes it is for so long. But then that's why they've lasted 200 million years I suppose. CB
Old 02-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
that's pretty good going isn't Alan. My lot are similar they will go down end of August sometimes (or at least not eat or move for 4 weeks as they bury) and not get up til March. time and because I do natural hibernation they choose and I find it incredible sometimes it is for so long. But then that's why they've lasted 200 million years I suppose. CB
Yes. My other one hasn't eaten for 3 days now and not coming completely out the tub of soil, just sitting by the doorway of it so it won't be long. It was only 2c outside the other morning
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote