Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 31-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Essexbrummie
Incubating

Default Lid on or off?

Hi

I have 7 Hermanns eggs in an incubator. I followed the instructions which included putting the lid on the plastic tub with a few air holes in. I have read a few posts on here saying the lid should be off. The humidity has been around 75-80% and one of the eggs has condensation on it. I’m guessing this is the reason that some people leave the lid off? They have been like this for two days now, will this have ruined our chances?

This is the first time we have had eggs so I know we have a lot to learn but I am so excited! . Mum is 10 years old and doing well.

If you could share any advice or experiences I would be really grateful.

1.0.0 Child
2.2.1 Hermanns
0.0.2 Iberas-Dude & Daisy
Essexbrummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexbrummie View Post
Hi

I have 7 Hermanns eggs in an incubator. I followed the instructions which included putting the lid on the plastic tub with a few air holes in. I have read a few posts on here saying the lid should be off. The humidity has been around 75-80% and one of the eggs has condensation on it. I’m guessing this is the reason that some people leave the lid off? They have been like this for two days now, will this have ruined our chances?

This is the first time we have had eggs so I know we have a lot to learn but I am so excited! . Mum is 10 years old and doing well.

If you could share any advice or experiences I would be really grateful.

I dont keep hermans, but ibera which are incubated the same, and I never kept a lid on any eggs. As you have found condensation happens which is not good for the eggs.
I never put any moisture on the substrate the eggs sit on. Only in a container within the incubator. I did only have a home made incubator, which was 100% successful.
But its always good to carry on with any incubation for experience. And it might not affect all the eggs:0)
If they were mine, I would lift the eggs gently out of the container (not rotating them at all) and give them a wipe with kitchen roll or the like. And leave the lid off:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

I would definitely take the lid off as like Sandy I always put my eggs into dry vermiculite with a separate container of water but everyone does it differently and there is no reason to suppose that your eggs (if fertile) won't hatch.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Take the lid off if the eggs get to damp they can split but don't panic.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
Essexbrummie
Incubating

Thanks all!

1.0.0 Child
2.2.1 Hermanns
0.0.2 Iberas-Dude & Daisy
Essexbrummie is offline   Reply With Quote