Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 25-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #11
yakface77
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceleetortoise
fantastic pics mate.
what size is the tank in feet????
what size is the res thats in the tank??

the fluval 404 filter looks huge, is it better than a normal filter such as what im using - fluval 2+ or whatever the other one is?
also what substrate is it youve got in there?? looks like gravel, i dont have a substrate at the bottom of my small turtles tank, only my softshell has substrate.
The indoor tank for the baby res is only 3ft, the res is one of 2 and both are an inch and a half (dodgy petshop selling them too small, so i rescued from purchaser, and successfully stopped him from trading young and too small turtles again)
The 404 is the inhouse set up, i use a volcanic gravel type substrate which properties are excellent for keeping faeces out and vitalising water with minerals.(Apparently)
I think an external cannister filter is definately the way to go mate.most garden centres sell promotional offers should get a decent size one for £49-69, Fluval or Ecco filters are the best.in my opinion. (I kept marine fish for ages so know about decent filtration)

The outdoor setup has a decent pond filter which is a hozelock make with built in uvsterilizer .

Cheers for comments both, and Zoe.

Any thoughts on an outdoor set up for yours Darren ?
1.1.2 Florida Cooter turtles
0.1.1 Red Eared Slider Turtle
0.1.0 Mississippi Map Turtle
yakface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
bruceleetortoise

my 4 babies are only about 4cm(approx) right now, are in a 2 and a half foot tank, its an ok size for the time being, but like i mentioned i will be having to change them into a bigger one when they start growing.
i am in the process of buying a house, and as soon as i move i will be getting an outdoor pond sorted out for my babies, but right now i have dodgy neighbours and wouldnt trust any of my animals out without me being there to watch over them.

i will look into the fluval 404 when i get a bigger tank for them, right now because its not so big its fairly easy to maintain.

my chinese softshell is probably feeling left out with me speaking of the babies all the time, so heres a picture of her , this is the cheeky thing that bit me the other night.

Old 25-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
phoenix23db
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to phoenix23db

darren there so cool lol, i love baby turtles .. think they look fab its a shame they dont stay tht small lol.
rambo looks like she is doing well too
0.2.0 Leopard's
phoenix23db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

yakface please tell me did you have to support your on top of the ground pond if so what did you use we have one which we hope to do this weekend any tips would be appreciated, thanks
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
yakface77
Hatched

Madmax, Hi.
Yes i suported the pond using wooden struts at approximately every 8inches. Not only do the supports reenforce but they are handy for securing the bamboo roll ! I like the idea of above level as its far safer for the kids (not foolproof, but certainly its harder to climbinto than fall into ) Tips, Try to get the struts as tightly into the ground/against the pond as you can when the pond is full of water as this will give a true tightness to the support.(hope that makes sense ) ask away if i can help anymore.

Darren, your softshell is lovely, reminds me of a flounder the way it buries into the sand to camoflauge.

just a few more pics, my cooters are getting so used to me now, they love the camera, i was practically 2 inches away from them to take these pics.
(sorry i promise i wont hijack this thread any longer )

Female florida cooter

male florida cooter

1.1.2 Florida Cooter turtles
0.1.1 Red Eared Slider Turtle
0.1.0 Mississippi Map Turtle
yakface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
bruceleetortoise

this is usually how the softshell digs himself in, lol

can you even see her in this pic????? i know where she is but even i struggle to find her sometimes.

or she'll just sit with her head sticking out, she was dug in then i put this wax worm in (just above her head in the pic) then she popped her head up to see what was breaking into her house,
Old 27-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #17
fourtorts
Incubating

Your babies r lovely the colours are remarkable.... I can see they have gone to turtle paradise.......
Still no news about turtle found in road
Lynne

my doggy daycare web

http://www.littledoggydaycare.co.uk/index.php
fourtorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #18
bruceleetortoise

has it been re-homed yet???or did they decide to keep it?
Old 27-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #19
fourtorts
Incubating

I couldn't get a reply from her. that's the thanks you get for trying to help.....

my doggy daycare web

http://www.littledoggydaycare.co.uk/index.php
fourtorts is offline   Reply With Quote