Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 13-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
amaksoud
Egg

Default Feeding and other questions

Hi

I feed my RES twice a day, a few pellets morning and few in the evening

I also offer her dried shrimps a couple of days a week and sometimes I mix pellets and dried shrimps in the same meal.

Is that OK?

My other questions are
1- sometimes she swims towards me and keep following me when I'm passing by to draw my attention, when she does so, I know that she needs feeding, but lately I noticed that this happens may be every 3 or 4 hours so is that ok not to give her some pellets or may be I'm not feeding her well in the first place and this why she does so ?

2- I also noticed sometimes that she tries to dig the stones on the bottom of the tank with her head, does that mean anything ?

3- I used to have another RES that died about 40 days ago, is it better to get her some company ? AFAIK it's a female and she's still young, may be a year old or so, if I'm going to buy another one shall I get a male or its not that important ? I have difficulties knowing the sex and the shops over here are not that good to differentiate. They keep a dozen of RES in a small plastic tank, I have even seen piles of RES in one small tank once
If I'm going to buy, what about the size/age ? Should I get same age or an older/bigger one ?

Sorry for the too many questions.
amaksoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Geomyda
Adult

http://www.terrapin-info.co.uk/caresheets.php
Suggest, you look up the care sheet on the attached link. Your description of feeding: "a few pellets twice a day" and the occasional dried shrimp does not provide a clear understanding of your current dilemma?
How large is the Terrapin?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Also, I wouldn't go and buy another one especially as they cannot be sexed when young. You do not want to get another poorly one.

Any new addition will need to be housed separately from your existing one for several weeks/months.

If when they mature you have one male and one female he will make her life unhappy and if they are both males they may not get along.

A female will reach 12"+ and need a very large tank or indoor pond together with an outdoor pond.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
amaksoud
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
http://www.terrapin-info.co.uk/caresheets.php
Suggest, you look up the care sheet on the attached link. Your description of feeding: "a few pellets twice a day" and the occasional dried shrimp does not provide a clear understanding of your current dilemma?
How large is the Terrapin?
I'm looking at the attached link now.

The RES is about 2" long

This is a photo for her in a smaller tank when I was cleaning her main tank.

I usually feed her double the amount of pellets in the pic twice a day.

Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
Also, I wouldn't go and buy another one especially as they cannot be sexed when young. You do not want to get another poorly one.

Any new addition will need to be housed separately from your existing one for several weeks/months.

If when they mature you have one male and one female he will make her life unhappy and if they are both males they may not get along.

A female will reach 12"+ and need a very large tank or indoor pond together with an outdoor pond.
Thanks for the info, I really don't like the idea of getting another RES as this will need almost double the work, but I was asking to know which is better for her.

I understood from you now that it's not that important to get her some company.....at least for the time being.
Old 16-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
amaksoud
Egg

Guys, I'd appreciate your advice.

She has been eating fewer pellets lately and seems to be hungry, when it comes to dried shrimps, she never say no.

I tried to offer her a piece of lettuce leaf, she bit a small part and didn't want it again.

I know when she's hungry, she swims hilariously against the tank wall and keeps following me right or left as I pass by.

Other water weeds are not sold over here, I only have 3 options, pellets, dried shrimps and common vegtibels that can be found in any supermarket. What else can I offer her?

Last edited by amaksoud; 16-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.