Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
gwizz
Incubating

Default My Yoda has passed :(

I've been on the forum for 10 years and you've helped me gather the very best information and skills in helping to raise Yoda my tortoise. Unfortunately he has passed away today after rushing him to the vets this morning

He mainly lived outside all summer and I kept him inside in the winter, he lived on weeds and weekly baths with nutrobal and cuttle fish. I used mega rays and had the whole table set up with top soil and coir for nearly 13 years.

The vet implied that if i was to get another tortoise then I'm best to re-evaluate my husbandry skills

He was fine 2 days ago then i noticed he didn't touch his weeds id picked and then he began to breathe with his mouth open last night. Vet said he had a fungal infection on his tongue.

Im still in shock , i feel numb but I just wanted to thank you guys for the years of help and advice. Not sure if i will get another, the vets comments have knocked me for 6

xxxxx

Children 2.0.0 - Benjamin and Matthew
(Horsfield Tortoise 1.0.0 - RIP Yoda)
Cats 1.1.0 - Ellie May & Eddie Solo
Husband 1.0.0
gwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

I wrote something on one of the other posts when you mentioned your loss.

I am just so sorry.

I think your vet is very unfeeling. When we have had to had our dogs put down over the years our vets have just been amazing. Always supporting the decisions.

Does he really know it was a fungal infection?

Just remember that fungi naturally live in the environment and it may be your poor tort was just susceptible.

It certainly sounds as though your husbandry was good.

I'm sorry I just feel so cross with your vet. Even if you had not done the right things it is so inappropriate to apportion blame.

My thoughts are with you. You gave your tort lots of good years.
Old 25-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

I’m so sorry for your loss, what a terrible shock. Personally I don’t think you need to re think your husbandry. It all sounds fine, and the fact that it’s worked well for 10 years is testament to that. As for a fungal infection on the tongue, I would question that, open mouthed breathing is usually a respiratory infection. I think I would find another vet.
Remember, tortoises can and often do hide any signs of illness until it’s too late and die suddenly, it may well be that there was nothing you could have done to prevent this from happening. This behaviour is a survival strategy. I hope this makes you feel better.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 25-07-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
tortydat
Sub Adult

Hello I'm really sorry to hear about your sad loss. It might be that the fungal infection on the tongue was a secondary to something else such as a respiratory problem. As has been said by others not the best vet maybe. Don't give up on tortoise keeping. Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

I’m so sorry to read about your sad loss. I agree with the others that a respiratory infection sounds more likely.
Most veterinary surgeries don’t have an exotics vet. They can have a rudimentary knowledge on exotics, and that information comes from a member of the family who is a veterinary nurse.
I feel awful for you that you have been left feeling bad about your husbandry. Often a good tortoise owner can teach the vet a thing or two!
Try not to take the vets words personally and as Mary says, don’t let this affect any desire to have another.
RIP Yoda. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

what a terrible time for you and your family. Poor little Tortoise Yoda but he had a wonderful life and owner and you can not beat yourself up about it. It happens. Was it an older vet ? Only because some people think like that in human life...ie you caught a cold because you didn't wear a vest so it's your fault you have a cold and other people just don't know what to say so focus on a discussion which was not appropriate at this time - don't take it to heart. And please always think about the good life you can give to all those unwanted tortoises out there....and get another vet CB
Old 26-07-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

I am very sorry to hear this qwizz. It's only a guess but from what you have said it sounds like a lower ri, maybe pneumonia? And stomitis (mouth rot) some viruses can produce these two symptoms together & tortoise have been a carrier for years, with no signs, so dont beat yourself up.

Maybe you might consider offering a home to one of the many unwanted torts? It would be a great shame to loose all your knowledge, care and comitment.xx
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
gwizz
Incubating

Thanks everyone for your responses and care it means alot to read xxxx

I did speak to the practice manager and said I wasn't too happy with the way I was dealt with by the vet, I understood that there's alot of torts who are not given the correct care but the vet in question should not have jumped to conclusions at that very sad moment. I stated I had done continuous research year after year and how he had his own shed, greenhouse and huge outdoor enclosure, a diet of fresh weeds and general decent care and attention. She apologized to me and stated they were wrong to jump to conclusions and will speak to the vet concerned.

I'm currently hoping to get a house move date in the next fortnight so when I'm all settled in new house I may reconsider getting another. He came from a garden centre originally by my mother and it wasn't until i took him to a vets (now gone) that I found out that he was wild caught, a boy instead of a girl and a few years older than thought. I in fact contacted CITES dept at the time who pulled up the GC because they were also giving our fake certificates. I would rehome one of course that would be priority

I'm having him cremated and he will move house with us and ill find a warm spot he would have loved and scatter him there with a tree to mark the spot and his personalized feeding slate he had for his birthday.

Thanks guys, its all been very sudden with no warning and im devastated xxxx

Children 2.0.0 - Benjamin and Matthew
(Horsfield Tortoise 1.0.0 - RIP Yoda)
Cats 1.1.0 - Ellie May & Eddie Solo
Husband 1.0.0

Last edited by gwizz; 26-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.
gwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

I just wanted to say how touched I was to read what you are going to do with Yoda's ashes. Such warmth, care and thought. A personalised feeding slate! Brought a tear to my eye. What a well loved tort.
Old 28-07-2018, 03:52 AM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I just wanted to say how touched I was to read what you are going to do with Yoda's ashes. Such warmth, care and thought. A personalised feeding slate! Brought a tear to my eye. What a well loved tort.
Me too, it's late and I'm having a blub! sounds lovey! Take care xx
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote