Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Buying/Rehoming a hermans

Hi hav'nt been on in a while flooded out, have been offered a 5 year old Hermans, tort has lived in a viv, dont know about diet either. The owners are asking £150 for the tort, what would be a good offer for him
I would pay the price, to rehome him but vet bills may be to follow depending on his condition
My other 2 hermans are safe and sound after the flood
But my house needs a meke over
Did i tell you my torts are O.K
Paul
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you got flooded out, glad your tortoises are ok.

As for the viv tortoise, its entirely up to you, unfortunatley its not really for us to speculate to how well the tortoise has been cared for.

So long as you are aware, which by your question you are that there may well be health problems which require vetinary intervention then the decision is yours.

Have you seen the tortoise? Have you seen the article 10 paperwork? Has the tortoise got article 10 paperwork?

Sorry for the questions but these are the kind of things you should be asking. Make the owner an offer what you consider to be a fair price for the torotise and get as much information as you can, eating habits, diet, vet treatmnents, worming etc.... how long the people have had the tortoise, why they are selling it and so on.

I hope this helps.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Thanks Aide for the advice i have just contacted the owner and asked some questions you have mentioned. Have not recieved reply yet may have frightened them off
All iknow so far is the little chap/chapette has been kept in a viv for 5 years, the photo attached to the advert of him does'nt look to bad, some raised scutes a bit bumpy but not bad pyramiding.
I have advised them to have a browse on this site or tortoise trust, if they need to know anything, if they decide to keep him/her
Paul
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Well done Paul,

Even if the people decide to keep the little tortoise then at least you have made an effort to show them that there are other ways of caring for tortoises, and where they can great information about their little pet.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote