Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 20-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
Stacey_Jo
Incubating

Default Egg laid but no male

Hello, one if my tortoises has laid two eggs, no idea when, we found them about a week ago. Was quite a surprise as no male present although the larger one does frequently mount the other two during the natural mating seasons. I've looked online but can't find any real aftercare advice for a Tortoise that has laid. She's only 7 and us now very quiet, apparently exhausted, completely off food and just sleeps. I've been bathing her daily for the last few days and she's been drinking a lot but also her first bath she passed a lot of white substance, more runny in consistency than the standard urates. She again passed some today although larger in quantity than usual the urates have looked much more normal. Before I take her to the vets, are there any tests I can do at home to check her out? Her eyes are looking good and movement when she does move is fine albeit slow and somewhat weak. Is there anything I should be doing or looking out for? Thanks.
Old 20-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

It sounds as though she needs an xray to check that there aren't more eggs left as two isn't very many for a Hermann. I think she needs a vet visit sooner rather than later as if she is retaining eggs it will make her poorly and they will need to be induced. Egg laying shouldn't cause her to be off her food or weak in the legs.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Stacey_Jo
Incubating

Thank you, yes she's booked in for the morning. She's been drinking lots in her daily baths which is great to see and her urates are now looking normal. I'm taking that as a good sign. She's still not herself though and the thought she may have more eggs did occur to me too. Wasn't sure though how long they normally take to lay their eggs whether they lay them all in one go or over a period of time. My other two females who are larger haven't laid any eggs but do keep sniffing my poorly Shelly. Not sure if that's a sign of anything. So worried for my little one.
Old 21-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Stacey_Jo
Incubating

She's eating!!! Just put her back in her table after this morning's soak and she slowly wandered over to the food and started eating! So happy!!
Old 21-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey_Jo View Post
Thank you, yes she's booked in for the morning. She's been drinking lots in her daily baths which is great to see and her urates are now looking normal. I'm taking that as a good sign. She's still not herself though and the thought she may have more eggs did occur to me too. Wasn't sure though how long they normally take to lay their eggs whether they lay them all in one go or over a period of time. My other two females who are larger haven't laid any eggs but do keep sniffing my poorly Shelly. Not sure if that's a sign of anything. So worried for my little one.
Glad that she's drinking and now eating and hope that she gets on well at the vets. They usually lay their eggs in one go if they've made a proper nest but if they are laying them on the surface they can just lay the odd one over a period. Let us know how you get on at the vets.
Old 22-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
Stacey_Jo
Incubating

Back from the vets, they said she's very healthy which is good, although she does appear to have eaten some soil which is possibly why she's been off food. She's having a few nibbles now which is great but not quite as much as I'd like. The vet did an x-ray and she has five more eggs to lay so they've given her a calcium injection I think it was to try and encourage laying and I'm on the lookout for the eggs by Monday, if not I'll have to go back so she can have the actual medication to help her lay them. She's back in her table now though and she's wandered over to the area where we found the original eggs so fingers crossed she'll finish laying them.
Old 22-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey_Jo View Post
Back from the vets, they said she's very healthy which is good, although she does appear to have eaten some soil which is possibly why she's been off food. She's having a few nibbles now which is great but not quite as much as I'd like. The vet did an x-ray and she has five more eggs to lay so they've given her a calcium injection I think it was to try and encourage laying and I'm on the lookout for the eggs by Monday, if not I'll have to go back so she can have the actual medication to help her lay them. She's back in her table now though and she's wandered over to the area where we found the original eggs so fingers crossed she'll finish laying them.
Hopefully she will lay the eggs before Monday and at least you know how many you are looking for. She probably won't get back to normal behaviour and eating until she has passed all the eggs.
Old 22-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you for all the updates. We all learn so much by the sharing of this information.

You obviously knew something was amiss.
Old 22-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

Have you tried to make her a nest site? They usually lay at the perimeter of their heat lamp. Provide deep soil. I usually boil the kettle make a deep well & gradually add water /soil mixing thoroughly& patting it down firmly. You want ittohold a ball shape when you pick it up, but not muddy/sticky. If you have a non contact temp gun your aiming for around 29 degrees soil temp.

Give her a nice long soak too
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

good to hear, hope she continues to get better, CB