Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

mating them only makes it worse, Sid my Ibera used to be like it most of the year but worse in the spring as that was when he was put with the missus, we learnt a sort of dance when in with him. They were hibernated and spent the rest of the year outside, never comming in as they had heated houses, I could never have rehomed Sid as a pet as someone would have got hurt, he once fastened on hubby's finger when Sid was in his house and hubby had to pull him out before he could get his finger back. The behaviour did improve slightely as summer turned to autumm but you always had to watch him. Some have males that show no signs of agressiveness but when they do they don't change and mating makes them worse.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
Catwoman63
Adult

I have 3 males, and none show this aggressive behaviour towards humans, only the male horsfield will be aggressive with the females, I suppose I'm lucky in that respect x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Silversurreal
Egg

Yes I had a feeling mating wouldnt help, as he seems to want to be at it all the time! (and he'd probably kill his mate lol) Cant wait until its warmer and sunny for him to go outside! Trouble is we have to bring him in at night as no real shelter and he just ends up burying himself and ending up freezing cold if I forget to bring him in and that cant be good can it? he loves his heat lamp too much. The UK just cant provide enough outdoor warmth for him even if I did make some cover! I'm glad to see Speedys not the only Male who is driving people batty! And yes I know the jumping out of the way 'tortoise dance, I end up doing a jig when making a coffee lol

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 07-03-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Silversurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

Don't wear flip flops! lethal. well I don't know if this helps but I had the same with one of my spur and treated it the same as territorial behaviour in dogs. i.e the more room the more Alpha male they can become defending their territory. so I restricted the area and though he banged and rammed the area for a while he is soooo much better. Not had a bite since last year and the dogs are more relaxed, but never say never!....