Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
CharlotteC
Egg

Default Got my first tortoise last week, advice needed!

-If this is too long basically, I need advice on food amount and pyramiding, thanks!

Hi, after a lot of research I got my first tortoise last Sunday. He's 9 months old and a Hermann and I got him from a reputable breeder and so far everything seems okay.
However I have noticed he has realllly slight pyramiding and I don't know how to avoid it-
I have a heat/uvb bulb which is 32 degrees underneath, on for 14 hours a day.
I am feeding him on dandelion leaves sprinkled with nutrabol and occasionally romaine lettuce or cauliflower. I also have a cuttlefish bone in his enclosure.
He has water in a few small, shallow places around his enclosure.
I have given him a short bath 3 times this week.

I am also worried about overfeeding, he has gained 2 grams in under a week! The breeder said to put a lot of food in his enclosure and if he eats it all put more, if he leaves some put less, I try to put about as much the size of shell in and he has been eating well.
I was a bit worried he was constipated but today after a bath he went to the toilet so I am not so worried now.
I think I am so worried because he was so much tinier than I imagined! He is smaller than the palm of my hand!
Sorry this is so long but I want to raise him right!

Thank you
CharlotteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
lynnedit
Hatched

Not an expert, but can you post a pic of him? Experts can help decide about the pyramiding (or not).
I believe keeping him hydrated at least part of the substrate moist (top can dry out, but under layers moist), is important. So weight may fluctuate with loss or gain of fluid.
Can you offer a bit more variety; perhaps something in UK like our 'Spring mix' until weeds are more plentiful? Turnip greens, kale, collards, argula, endive, mustard greens, etc. You can get a Spring mix and then one other type of green, use that up and then get a different one so they don't go bad and you get variety week to week. You can get Tort seeds on this site and consider sprouting in trays and eventually outside.
Not sure the cauliflower is needed, just more greens/weeds.
It actually sounds as if he is doing quite well!
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Wink

Hi Charlotte

I don't see much to worry about here!

The 'pyramiding' that you can see is most likely just a slight raising of the scutes which is probably not an issue at all. Most tortoises born in captivity have it.

Don't worry about weight changes over the space of a week unless it is a really massive amount. The weight goes up and down a bit and 2 grammes is neither here nor there. Weigh the tortoise weekly and write it down. If the weight goes up gradually over the months then this is fine.

A lot of keepers will feed the Florette Crispy salad sometimes in winter. It contains 3 things they can eat - Raddiccio, Lambs' Lettuce and Frisee. You might want to try it.

I agree it can be worrying and most of us start off with a little hatchling and it seems impossibly tiny and feeble. But in fact they are tough little critters!
Old 26-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteC View Post
-If this is too long basically, I need advice on food amount and pyramiding, thanks!

Hi, after a lot of research I got my first tortoise last Sunday. He's 9 months old and a Hermann and I got him from a reputable breeder and so far everything seems okay.
However I have noticed he has realllly slight pyramiding and I don't know how to avoid it-
I am feeding him on dandelion leaves sprinkled with nutrabol and occasionally romaine lettuce or cauliflower. I also have a cuttlefish bone in his enclosure.

I am also worried about overfeeding, he has gained 2 grams in under a week! The breeder said to put a lot of food in his enclosure and if he eats it all put more, if he leaves some put less, I try to put about as much the size of shell in and he has been eating well.
I was a bit worried he was constipated but today after a bath he went to the toilet so I am not so worried now.
I think I am so worried because he was so much tinier than I imagined! He is smaller than the palm of my hand!

Thank you
For a small tortoise/hatchling you should not be feeding it as much as it wants. They do become very greedy, afteral, there is not much else to do other than eat and sleep! One small dandelion leaf per day should be enough at this age. Have a look around for a few weeds. There is still Chickweed and Sow Thistle around in the garden. Florette with various leaves in is OK. Everything in moderation and varied. Try and keep off the cabbage family. With a tiny tortoise, I would have thought you should be able to find odd bits of weed, or make use of the dried weeds available in pet shops for rabbits. There is plenty rought there, just give them a light spray.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
nooddle
Juvenile

I actually would advise against feeding dandelion every day, it is a good thing to feed in moderation but not everyday- tortoise table-dandelion
This website above is great for checking which weeds to feed.
And this is a link to a list with pictures of edible weeds which a fellow forum member compiled list of edible weeds
Sounds like you are doing a great job with your new tort but variety is the key as far as diet goes

Tiny A'Tuin by nnaaddiinnee89, on Flickr
nooddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
shellonia
Sub Adult

An average amount for a tiny tortoise to eat is to imagine the shell as a little cup and feed a little mound, chopped or torn up to release juices/smell.If he eats it and is still running around! he may need a little more. Tortoises are programmed to bask when satisfied so you will soon be in touch with his needs.Pyramiding can start between 12-18 months so just keep an eye on it but don't panic.Hydration is equally important to smooth growth. Again some tortoises are hungrier and hence end up bigger than others- it's the length/weight ratio-"The Jackson's Ratio" that is a good guide.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
anna m
Adult

I have to feed mixed florrette salad and romain salad in the winter until the weeds grow. Study the weeds they can have and you will become an expert in finding them.
Old 28-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Charlotte C, the suggestions above all ok, just mix em up a bit/ alternate the idea to feed indoor's variety to try give enough nutrition the Tortoise need's.
There are some commercial food's to consider/ read up, Pre Alpin dried grasses/weed's and Tortoise pellet's used in a weekly diet, all in moderation .
Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
CharlotteC
Egg

Thank you everyone this is so helpful, so do I basically just spray his substrate a bit each day? If so whereabouts, all over or just one area? And okay I am now trying to add variety to his food but I must say I am finding it tricky to identify weeds haha! But I managed to identify a different type today and I took some pictures of weeds in my garden that I'm not sure of
CharlotteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
EJ
Adult

Quantity of food fed has little if anything to do with pyramiding. The key factors are proper heat and hydration. You don't want to keep the entire enclosure substrate moist but a small portion is recommended.

This was written for people like yourself. Although the title is Russian Tortoises it covers the Testudo tortoises in general.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Tortoi.../dp/0793828821

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteC View Post

Thank you
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9 months, food advice, hermann, pyramiding