Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Trac3y
Egg

Question Two baby dwarf hermann's or 1 hermann ?

I'm almost ready to purchase my first tortoise, my table is nearly ready, built by someone off this forum, my tortoise seeds are all growing, my outdoor enclosure is nearly ready. My Arcadia Lamp & EXo Terra glow light/reflector are on order....
I have definately decided on a Hermann.
Do I get two baby dwarf hermanns or one normal size hermann?
Are the dwarf ones much smaller?
Do they get lonely?
I believe they will be too young to sex, I have found some dwarf ones for sale that are 1 year old.
Any advise appreciated
Trac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
kkenny
Sub Adult

I have a Eastern Hermann that should grow to max 8inches which is a nice size i think. Not sure about the dwarf Hermanns.

Dont forget to post some pic's once you have decided.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

they don't get lonely

I got two Hermanns and quickly realised I couldn't keep them in the same table because one liked to stand upright and try to climb and the other just liked to go round and round the table. As a result the one that was standing up was getting barged over on every lap of the circuit and ended up on its back almost every time. They now have a table each but are together when outdoors and unless they meet each other at the entrance to a hide they are ok

read the guide on ID and sizes http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...read.php?t=243
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Trac3y
Egg

Thank you for your replies, I think I am better with just one!!
I'll read the guide to decide which type of hermann. Is 1 year old an average age to purchase?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Hi,

It's difficult enough to get 1 Hermanni Hermanni (believe me!) so where will you get 2?

I don't think they get lonely, but I think having more than 1 provides stimulation. That is only my opinion, and Alan is right - sometimes you find out that it is impossible to keep two together and then you are faced with having to rehome one or set up another enclosure. As for the age, most breeders sell that under 1 years old.

Hope this helps!
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac3y View Post
Thank you for your replies, I think I am better with just one!!
I'll read the guide to decide which type of hermann. Is 1 year old an average age to purchase?
Do you intend buying from a local breeder or a pet shop or a website?

if buying from a shop or website they will say 'captive bred' but 99.9% of them will come from slovenia or macedonia so although captive bred, they are not UK captive bred obviously and have been bred on tort farms. Some people even believe they are wild caught but that's another story.

Ones bought from a UK breeder will be sold as UKCB (UK Captive Bred).

People will tell you that UKCB is best but at the end of the day it is your choice. Hermanni Hermanni or Dwarf Hermanns as some people call them are hard to come by as Petrus has said. A UK breeder on here was advertising them in the for sale section clicky. Because of being hard to come by they are more expensive. Pet shops will sometimes sell Hermanni Hermanni but I believe that they are mostly unaware what they are selling and often sell TH Hercegovensis (dalmation tortoise) as Dwarf Hermanns

Last edited by Alan1; 11-06-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

logic says you'll either be looking at last years hatchlings or this if there is any about yet, age doesn't really matter as long as the breeder is happy to let them go and they are eating, growing etc ok. Expect to pay around £100 max for one althought they are more in the shops, one from a breeder shouldn't be more possibly less, its nice if you can visit and choose your tort but don't be surprised if some breeders want to meet somewhere, I like to meet my buyers but many, for security reasons don't want people around their homes.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Do you intend buying from a local breeder or a pet shop or a website?

if buying from a shop or website they will say 'captive bred' but 99.9% of them will come from slovenia or macedonia so although captive bred, they are not UK captive bred obviously and have been bred on tort farms. Some people even believe they are wild caught but that's another story.

Ones bought from a UK breeder will be sold as UKCB (UK Captive Bred).

People will tell you that UKCB is best but at the end of the day it is your choice. Hermanni Hermanni or Dwarf Hermanns as some people call them are hard to come by as Petrus has said. A UK breeder on here was advertising them in the for sale section. Because of being hard to come by they are more expensive. Pet shops will sometimes sell Hermanni Hermanni but I believe that they are mostly unaware what they are selling and often sell TH Hercegovensis (dalmation tortoise) as Dwarf Hermanns
Good points, Alan. There is one pet centre that operates online and they sell "Dwarf Hermanns" from Turkey!!!! Some people think these are half breeds.

I have two Slovenian Hermanni Boettgeri. They are nice tortoises now, but one came to me with RNS. They were very shy and hissd a lot - completely different to my 2 Iberas, which are UK Captive Bred.

I'd strongly urge you to buy a UK Captive Bred tortoise from a breeder. Where in the country are you?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Trac3y
Egg

The midlands. They are on a website. I'll go check what it states about breeding. They were mini microchipped as well which I presumed was a good thing. £145 1 year old.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Don't post the website name though

Tags
1 or 2, hermanii hermanni, hermann