Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Default German's

Been meaning to post this awhile now, anyway's out of interest Does anyone else have first certificate German Herman's, as most import's are from Slovenia, i have a six and a half year old male Boettgeri, although it say's country of origin Germany, are these usually imported from still, Slovenia, through Germany, to us.
Old 22-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Have found there are many bred in Germany, not that it matter's now, he is ok, in hibernation at the mo. Just wondering if any members have a German stomping around.
Old 23-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Margtort
Egg

I have a German marginated
Margtort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi, there is a fair number of tort's, most breed's imported from Germany, i was just wondering, if any keeper's on here had some, there don't seem to be that many. My tort a Herman's male, after importation ended up at a local tortoise importer, they have a web site, and claim they breed some themselves, the second owner gave him to me. Did your Marginated come from a pet shop, and has he been ok.
Old 24-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I have a young female Hermanns with a German certificate. I have had her for 5 years now and she has never been a single bit of trouble. She was originally from a petshop, but has never shown any signs of problems and all faecel samples have come back clear in the time I have had her.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
EJ
Adult

I believe the Germans are getting them from Slovenia. Do you know the name of the exporter from Germany?

Didn't finish what you posted... probably, is the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
Been meaning to post this awhile now, anyway's out of interest Does anyone else have first certificate German Herman's, as most import's are from Slovenia, i have a six and a half year old male Boettgeri, although it say's country of origin Germany, are these usually imported from still, Slovenia, through Germany, to us.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
swad1000
Adult

Surely the Cites certificate would still show country of origin as Slovenia though?

When we reissue an A10 in the UK it still shows country of origin as Slovenia, and not UK.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
EJ
Adult

Actually... that's a sketchy point... are you talking about the country of origin or the country the animal was shipped out of (origin for shipping)?

The UK is wierd that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
Surely the Cites certificate would still show country of origin as Slovenia though?

When we reissue an A10 in the UK it still shows country of origin as Slovenia, and not UK.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
swad1000
Adult

My understanding was that country of origin on Cites was always the country in which the tortoise was born/bred and that stayed the same throughout the tortoise life to allow the tracking of the tortoise.

So even if they had been imported into Germany then subsequently imported to UK, country of Origin was still Slovenia.

But I've never imported tortoises, but just what I understood from Cites regulations in EU.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Sally_liz
Incubating

I have no idea wher my two hermanns are from, their certificates say the country of origin is the UK, but the dates on the certificates don't make sense, it says one of mine is an August 2001 hermanns & the other a August 2005, the problem is they are both far too big to be these ages & the smaller one has been flashing since september last year, so in theory since he was three? I don't know how easy it is for them to be faked, but I'm pretty sure mine are.
x
Sally_liz is offline   Reply With Quote