Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #21
crazyhorses
Egg

Default Boettgeri slowing down please help

Hi everyone Im Anna , new to the forum. Can any body help me. I have my male Boettgeri, Jesus in an insulated greenhouse. He has over night heating so keeps around 60. Then day time for 12 hrs he has uv strip and large basking lamp. providing him the same as he had last year on his t table except now he has much more space! Directly under lamp is slightly hotter than i would like, but he has so much room the rest of his space the temp is ideal!?
not hibernating as not sure he was up to it. He is 145 in length and weighing around 585g. !? My problem is he is slowing down and not eating much. He eats when i get him up for his bath. Worried he will start to drop weight! He has been wormed. Any suggestions or tips anyone? Going to get him checked with vet if continues. xx
crazyhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
shellonia
Sub Adult

Hi Anna and Welcome! It might be better to start a new thread as this one's quite old and you may not get many posts. However, if your tortoise is outside in a greenhouse then he will notice the change in temperature and daylight hours and slow down.Are you planning to hibernate or overwinter?If you want him to be lively I think you will really need to bring him inside where the ambient temperature is higher.Doesn't sound like he's ill.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #23
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Agree with above, i don't think you could keep a Tortoise that is known to hibernate in a greenhouse. Without it slowing down, a well heated insulated shed you might, then it may still need a viv inside.
Could try a higher night time heat 21c, or and a hot box type structure built into the Greenhouse.
Old 27-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

As has been said, there is no way you could keep your tortoises going outside in a greenhouse for the winter. The heat would be wasted as well as expensive. For one small tortoise, it needs to be inside in a table. You may have to hibernate him anyway, as he has already slowed down and that is because you have left him out too long. Tortoises are not easily fooled. They know the housrs of light are shorter and the heat not great. 585g. seems a reasonable weight to me. If you think you have a healthy tortoises that has eaten well through the summer, then I would suggest you think about hibernation and let yur tortoise run down naturally.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #25
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

If you bring him in now in a table to over winter with good night and day heat/condition's, the slow down should be reversed.
Old 27-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #26
crazyhorses
Egg

Thanks everyone. Feels great to suddenly have this support and info. Will post some pics of my set up tomorrow. Our greenhouse is half insulated box so the heat is not going through the roof. Anyway just want a happy Tort. Does everyone agree with 585 being a good weight for hibernation. Thankyou Shelled Lady, just want more to be 100% sure!! xx
crazyhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #27
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

585 - 145 is in the normal weight cat.