Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
09shelly

Default age?

hello everyone,

im very excited to have just got a horsefield tortoise yesterday!
after researching i think she is a girl. i have got her from someone who couldnt look after her anymore and i was told she was 1 year old, but i think maybe she is too big for this age. the length of her shell is approx 4.5''. is there any way to tell how old a tortoise is?

hope someone can help.

she was fed on lettuce and bannanas, since iv got her i have been out picking dandelions and other safe weeds which i have read about, and i have ordered seeds from here to grow my own.
does anyone have any tips for changing her diet, as she doesnt seem too impressed!

thankyou!
Old 13-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

People usually say to persist with the weeds. Some tortoises can take weeks to get the right idea. But if she's a good weight, she should be fine. You just need to be stubborn. Dandys are always a favorite with mine, so just keep trying her.
Its so good you've given her a good home. Perhaps you should post some pictures of her on the ID sections and we could sex her for you. Sounds like she's a good few years old anyway. But usually depends on what they've been fed sometimes.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
09shelly

Hi Helen,
Thanks for your reply, i will keep trying as i obviously want to do the best for her, or him, lol! she weighs nearly 300 grams, shes active and going to the toilet etc. i have bathed her today.
yes i will try to get some photos on within a few days. i would really like to know her age.
thanks again. xx