Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 14-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
veebee
Sub Adult

Default Vitamin A

Can anyone tell me the best way to supplement my tortoises with a little extra Vitamin A. After reading different sites, books and care shoots, I think my new ones could do with a little boost, but I cant find anywhere that tells me how to do this except for a jab at the vets. Would a little grated carrot in with their food be ok?

Thanks Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
carl20
Hatchling

id also like that advice. all ive heard is it is in nutrobal and it is high in dandelion leaves
Old 14-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
piglet
Adult

Just a good wholesome weedy diet is the best way of aquiring vitamin A into the system.Weeds dandelion and plantain in particular also fresh young summer grass are loaded with it vit A .
Carrots are high in oxalates so i wouldn't feed them others may disagree but i never use carrot.
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
nina
Adult

Default Re: Vitamin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by veebee
Can anyone tell me the best way to supplement my tortoises with a little extra Vitamin A. After reading different sites, books and care sheets, I think my new ones could do with a little boost, but I cant find anywhere that tells me how to do this except for a jab at the vets. Would a little grated carrot in with their food be ok?

Thanks Vivienne
Hi Viv,

I just posted a link to an article on vitamin A toxicity (from injections) in the Picture section in your other thread (before I saw this). Here it is again:
http://www.maturtlerescue.org/vatamin-a-toxicity.htm

Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
veebee
Sub Adult

Thanks Darren I will just ask for Baytril nose drops, putting them outside should help then as they will be eating the young grass shoots as mentioned in the link Nina has given me.

Thanks Nina that is a good site, very informative.

Vivienne
Old 15-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #6
veebee
Sub Adult

Glad to say vet sold me a small bottle of Baytril to drop on their noses, he said everyother day is that right, and could I put a spot on the 'soft spot?'

Vivienne
Old 15-07-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
veebee
Sub Adult

Yipppeeeee I sussed out putting my signature on, whoops sorry folks !!!!

Vivienne
Old 15-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
piglet
Adult

Vee
1 drop to each nostril three times a day for three days.
Then the same practice but twice daily for three days .
Then once daily for the remaining four days this should work well its always worked great for me with mild attacks of RNS , but i must say Jeff has a different way of combating RNS i might try this if i need to in the future.
Theres no way it would clear up as the vet described administering it .change vets Vee
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #9
veebee
Sub Adult

Thanks for the advice Darren. I dont know if this is a problem, but the dropper he has given me is a syringe type (not a needle syringe, its like the one you give babies), when I put a drop on their nose it nearly covers their whole face, one drop did both nares and went in their eyes, I had to rinse them in water as they wouldnt open their eyes, then I didnt know if I'd washed it out of their noses! What sort of dropper do you use? And will their eyes be ok they opened them when I washed them and I've put them outside, and they have started eating hope that is a good sign.

Sorry for all the questions, ps the soft spots underneath are hardening up with the Betadine.

Vivienne
Old 15-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I find using a needle on the end of the syringe gives a thinner drop for babies.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote