Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
FIONA
Egg

Default Horsefield eyes

Hi, my 5 yr old horsefield (Boris) keeps getting (re-occurs about once a month) what I can only explain as dry eyes, there not swollen or anything and once awake a couple of minutes they are fine (hence never there when at vets). I did speak to the vet about this and he told me it could be a husbandry issue.
1. Changed substrate to 70% soil - 30% sand instead or 50-50
2. Check temps daily which are 31-32 in hotspot and 20-22 in hide
3. has a large wtr dish for humidity
3. Changed his baths to every other day as bloated on daily baths
Should I also be spraying the table in the mornings as if dew. The only other thing I can think of is the bulb I use for basking as its a normal spot bulb 60w. as recommended by the lady I got him from. He does also have a UVA/UVB light as well.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
FIONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
CJ
Sub Adult

Hi Fiona

You could try just top soil without the sand. One of my horsfields, Ruby, gets very irritated eyes if I add sand to the soil, so I just use 100% top soil and haven't had eye problems since! I think your set up sounds absolutely fine, so maybe worth trying topsoil on its own!
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
FIONA
Egg

Thanks CJ i'll give it a try, there's not much else it could be I was completely baffled by it. Fiona
FIONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

There have been quite a few people posting about eye irritation with their torts and all had soil/sand mix. In my case, their eyes weren't irritated noticeably with infections or anything but they were regularly rubbing/wiping them and have been doing this much less since I changed to just soil. The soil when it dries out is quite sandy anyway but the particles don't seem to be as small. Quite a lot of people I've noticed have changed to just soil
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote