Shelled Warriors Forums
 

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Emmy
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Default Hello

Hello, I used to be on here 10-12 years ago! When I was preparing to get a tortoise...well that never actually happened...but now we are rescuing a hermann in a few weeks time. Annoyed as I got rid of all the tort stuff I had previously ha! We have a huge 4x2 double viv unit coming (we will be getting a baby one to at some point) I spent a small fortune on all the kit and we are finally ready!! Also have a cold frame adapted and ready for an outdoor enclosure. just a waiting game now...
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
Yvonne G
Member
Egg
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central California
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Hello, I used to be on here 10-12 years ago! When I was preparing to get a tortoise...well that never actually happened...but now we are rescuing a hermann in a few weeks time. Annoyed as I got rid of all the tort stuff I had previously ha! We have a huge 4x2 double viv unit coming (we will be getting a baby one to at some point) I spent a small fortune on all the kit and we are finally ready!! Also have a cold frame adapted and ready for an outdoor enclosure. just a waiting game now...
Good to have you back, Emmy! Welcome!!
__________________
Yvonne
Yvonne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
burnt toast
Senior Member
Adult
 
burnt toast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,093
Default

Welcome Emmy I hate to say this, but a Vivarium is not the best housing for a Hermanns. They trap too much humidity & its hard to achieve a temperature gradient. They are OK for tropical torts who require such conditions.

How old / big is the Hermanns your getting?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
Emmy
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Welcome Emmy I hate to say this, but a Vivarium is not the best housing for a Hermanns. They trap too much humidity & its hard to achieve a temperature gradient. They are OK for tropical torts who require such conditions.

How old / big is the Hermanns your getting?
yep we know this but the room they are in is a 'through' room so very drafty and open...plus we have cats and dogs so need to make sure its safe..i asked on a tortoise fb group...and I was sure most would say tables...but I was surprised by how many people keep them in vivs now a days...and shes 4 and about the side or my hand...
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
sandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 11,880
Default

Tortoises are a wandering species, and like to be outside as much as possible.
They cannot roam very far in a viv:0(
And they cannot escape the heat if they want too:0(
__________________
< > 60+, keeping ibera, graeca and box turtles
\0/
/_\

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
Yvonne G
Member
Egg
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central California
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Tortoises are a wandering species, and like to be outside as much as possible.
They cannot roam very far in a viv:0(
And they cannot escape the heat if they want too:0(
Not only that, but their digestion is dependent upon being able to walk a lot.
__________________
Yvonne
Yvonne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
burnt toast
Senior Member
Adult
 
burnt toast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,093
Default

Emmy, do you have a safe outdoor area for her?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
Emmy
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Emmy, do you have a safe outdoor area for her?
yep we have a cold frame, with the plastic removed and mesh added, I cannot for the life of me remember how to insert a pic on these forums now ha!
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
burnt toast
Senior Member
Adult
 
burnt toast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,093
Default

I'm useless (proper flintstone!) Clare, Cherry Brandy is our expert on photos! She will be along soon x
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.