Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #21
lynnedit
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyjayne2012 View Post
Thanks Lisa for your advice. I have ordered the 100W already, I will see how I get on with that and if I need to use another bulb as an extra heat sorce I will but that will be a pain
If you need additional heat, a regular house bulb would be fine, 75w or so. See how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyjayne2012 View Post
This might sound like a stupid question (it probably will) but I have a 150w exo terra glow light holder, can this be used with 160w Arcadia bulb? .... I know it sounds silly but I don't know a lot about electricity :S
I believe you always want the wattage of the fixture or light holder to be greater than that of the bulb, so avoid using your 160w bulb with that holder.
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Lisamn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
What has the local temperature been doing?
The tables are in my living room which is kept at a constant 20 degrees (central heating thermostat) except at night when it drops to 16 degrees.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Lisamn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi Lisa

I don't know what would cause that. If it is definitely the bulb that is not at all stable in temperature then there might be something wrong with it's uv output as well, or it just might not be quite right.

I'd suggest do everything you can to prevent other things like central heating going on and off etc so that the room temperature is otherwise steady and then plot your basking spot temperature over an hour or so. If it's all over the place then you might need to send the bulb back.
OK, I'm home all weekend so I'll monitor and record the temps every 20 mins or so for a few hours, see if I can get a picture of what's going on or see a pattern.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Lisamn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Hi,

Lamps can't just increase in output on their own. They draw a current and turn that to heat and as a by product light.

There is a burning in time which is over the first week of use. The lamps will by nature get brighter and more powerful over this first week.

Please let me know what you find I'm really interested to get to the bottom of the problem.

But don't worry, if you are unhappy just get a new one! They are fully guaranteed for a year

John
It's baffling me too John. Maybe it is just the 'burning in' time or something, although they've been in a couple of weeks now. My last 2 Arcadia bulbs were perfect - never a spot of bother.