Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Post Distance of UV from tortoise

I've just brought a new table for my torts to get them out of their viv. It's so much bigger I'm so happy with it but I just had a few questions on setting it up! It's got a lamp holder with it but I can't decide wether to get a combi bulb for hear and uv or put the strip light in there and a seperate heat bulb? What do most people do with their tables? Also if I put a strip bulb in there the sides are 8.5" high so it won't be very far away from them as currently it's at the top of the viv so it's quite far away from them! Is there a minimum distance away it should be so they don't get too much uv or is that a really silly question?

Emilyjayne2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

If possible, it would be better to suspend the strip light over the table and not have it attached to a side. Bright light would never come at a tortoise from that angle in the wild (8.5 inches off the ground angled into their eyes). That way you can adjust the height and be no problems getting the light the required distance from the tortoise.

Danny
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
EJ
Adult

I guess you haven't hunted tortoises at dusk or dawn... The side mounted artificial light would most closely mimic the natural light intensity and position at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
If possible, it would be better to suspend the strip light over the table and not have it attached to a side. Bright light would never come at a tortoise from that angle in the wild (8.5 inches off the ground angled into their eyes). That way you can adjust the height and be no problems getting the light the required distance from the tortoise.

Danny
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Easter Bunny
Adult

Hi Emily, I use Arcadia D3 Combined bulbs 160watt in my tables, these do both the u.v and heat. In my bigger tables I also have just an ordinary spot bulb to brighten it up x
Old 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Hi Emily, I use both types, combi for my adult torts, and it says on says on the box 22cm above the top of the tortoises shell, and I use a strip uv bulb and basking bulb for my babies and under 5yrs and set it at the same distance away from the top of the torts shell, 22 cm . I agree with Dan, it needs to be suspended above the torts not at an angle.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 05-01-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Thank you all for your help. I am looking into the option of suspending the light above the table but it doesn't look like it will be easy so I have also been looking into the combined Arcadia bulb which I have read good reviews about. My table isn't huge (36" long) so I think a combined bulb could work quite well to get enough UV across the table.
Thanks Suze for telling me the distance it should be from the shell I have googled it but couldn't find the answer anywhere.
Lynnee do you find the Arcadia light to be a good one to use then?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Easter Bunny
Adult

Yes Emily I think the Arcadia combined are good. I found out about them on here actually and they seem to be doing their job ok.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes Ed if you were on an east (sun rise) or west (sun set) facing beach and were searching for tortoises or turtles at those times the sun would be that low for maybe an hour. We aren't talking all day, so no a tortoise would not have the sun in it's eyes all day, maybe for an hour each day if it lived on the coast.

Danny
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Ok thanks Lynne that looks like the one il get then. Could you please recommend what wattage I should get? My table is 36" by 21"

Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
EJ
Adult

We are talking about the time of day when tortoises are most active. During the cooler periods... fall and winter... the sun is also lower on the horizon.

In the summer and spring sun is alot lower on the horizon for alot longer than an hour during dawn and dusk.

Rarely... if ever will you find a tortoise basking when the sun is directly above.

I miss your point as to what living on the coast has to do with anything.

An easy experiment... take a uv meter and measure the difference of a bulb mounted on the side as opposed to that mounted from above. Then decide if it is worth the time trouble and money to build an overhead support although I can provide and easy and inexpensive mount if that's the route anyone wants to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
Yes Ed if you were on an east (sun rise) or west (sun set) facing beach and were searching for tortoises or turtles at those times the sun would be that low for maybe an hour. We aren't talking all day, so no a tortoise would not have the sun in it's eyes all day, maybe for an hour each day if it lived on the coast.

Danny
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

Last edited by EJ; 05-01-2013 at 09:15 PM.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote