Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
mattb
Egg

Default uvb tubes, harmful?

Hi guys,

I wasnt sure where to put this, so apologies if its in the wrong section.

Im just curious as to whether anyone has ever heard of uvb bulbs being harmful to human eyes?
Obviously not staring at the bulb for a long time, but as an example, i have my tort table in my bedroom, with a 10.0 tube, with reflector, so most of the light goes into the table, but do you think the rays could cause harm to my eyes over time?

Cheers,

Matt
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
Hi guys,

I wasnt sure where to put this, so apologies if its in the wrong section.

Im just curious as to whether anyone has ever heard of uvb bulbs being harmful to human eyes?
Obviously not staring at the bulb for a long time, but as an example, i have my tort table in my bedroom, with a 10.0 tube, with reflector, so most of the light goes into the table, but do you think the rays could cause harm to my eyes over time?

Cheers,

Matt
No I don't think so.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Kirkie
Adult

Matt,

Cant give you a complete medical answer but as an example I got conjuntivitus in one eye last week. I couldn't go out in daylight because it really hurt (typical in the hottest week of the year). I got the same pain when around the UV lights I use. I think my point is that a normal, healthy eye is taking preventative measures where light is involved.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi all,

A safe, high quality lamp that you are sure emits no UVC poses not threat to humans under normal exposure, but what does this mean.

Any light sources including those that emit UVA and UVB should always be fitted above the animal and never to the side, any tyoe of light hitting an eye side on without chance of escape can cause irritation to the front surface of the eye which can then if perpetuated lead to infection, this is exactly the same for humans.

You should not sit close to any light source with a beam in your eye for even short periods of time.

UV has other limitations, if you were very close to the lamp and staring into it for periods of time you could end up with damage.

The long and short of is, fit your lamps correctly! Use the right reflector to stop light ingress into the room and put it down where it is most needed...down on the animal.

Don't stare at lamps and if they are at eye level change your seating and position of the lamp.

Lamps in vivs pose very little risk as the glass front cuts out 100% of any UV.

The biggest risk to animal and human help is what can be very un-regulated cheap Asian usually import lamps, there are so many cases of these leeching UVC that they can and do pose a real risk. UVC will cause burns and horrendous eye issues and can lead to cancer.

So as long as you are not staring directly into the lamp and the lamp is shielded suitably and you are sure of it's quality of emission there should be very, very little risk.

There will always be exceptions to the rule! Some people are very sensative to many things. If you are light sensative or Uv sensative or have had courses or treatment especially this similar to Chemo extra precautions should be taken. Ask your doctor.

As an example I am very sensitive to microwaves?????don't know how but if I am close to one when it's on I get terrible pains in my head and feel very dizzy right away??? So if you feel your body reacting, listen to it!

Hope this helps

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
mattb
Egg

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replys. Very useful.

The reason i posted the question was that i had a trip to my opticians, as for the last 6 months to a year my eyesight seems to have been gettng worse.
Upon visiting the opticians, my eyesight has indeed dropped a lot, to the point where i now need to wear glasses.
Obviously this is a very normal thing, but the optician said i may also have an eye condition (although very early onset) known as kerataconus, affecting the cornea of the eye. Having looked this up it can be caused by several factors, one of them being UV light exposure, others being genetic, excessive itching etc.

Obviously there are a lot of factors, and from the advice the optician gave me it would seem i am more prone to this condition, but it just got me thinking, as i have had my tortoise (trevor) now for around 6-12 months. I have my 10.0 tube set up with a reflector, but from where i sit in my room, there is approx a cm of the tube poking out of the reflector, and i can look at the tube directly if i turn my head. The tube is above his table with the reflector reflecting the majority of the light down.

It has however been a long time since i got my eyes tested and it seems to be quite hard to tell when your eye sight gets worse, as its a gradual change. I also dont spend a lot of time sat near the lamp.

Just food for thought i guess

Cheers,

Matt
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
mattb
Egg

Just another question if possible,

the cheaper (usually asian) imports, is there a way to tell which these are? Are they unbranded?

Cheers,

Matt
Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

make sure you always use a good reflector/shade this will aim the light down and not into the room or your eyes and I certainly take care not to look at my lights when they are on. I have combined and with their big reflectors don't really see any of the light, you could always try making a 'shelf' lined with kitchen foil over where the strip is.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
mattb
Egg

I have the correct length reflector for the tube, think its an arcadia reflector?

Cheers,

Matt
Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

I'm also a qualified Technical optician!

Uv cannot change your prescription,that is impossible! The changes to rx are inside the eye. Certainly the radiation from a lamp is not strong enough to change the inside of the eye.

Kc is a genetic problem in almost all cases. It is the eye changing shape and is usually manifest in serious astigmatism. This isnthe part ofmyour prescription marked cyl. UV make irritate the issue but again uless you are sitting 6" from the lamp staring into it for ages which would be mighty bright and very painful it is very unlikely to cause an issue.

Having said that if your optom has advised you to protect against exposure do just that. Shield the lamp with a reflector as you have already done and don't look directly into any part of the lamp.

One fail safe is to cover the top part of the lamp with normal black plastic guttering. This stops any light escaping into your living area.

Did the optom advise solar protect lenses from ziess? If they are worried about uv exposure it would be normal sunlight that poses the biggest risk, did they advise wearing sun lenses when out???

I'm interested to find out

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Lamps in vivs pose very little risk as the glass front cuts out 100% of any UV.

John
Hi would just like to point out that glass does not cut out 100% of UV unless fitted with a good UV filter, which are subject to degrade over time... but the intensity of UV does cut down very quickly, ie close to light source it will be very high, but after 1m will be very low (at least comparatively)
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote