Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 24-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
sarah
Administrator
Adult

If you can find good homes for them i do not see a problem. Tropical tortoises are easier tortoises to keep than meds in my opinion.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
HermanniChris23
Hatchling

awesome Darren!

VISIT MY SITES:
WWW.HERMANNIHAVEN.COM

WWW.GARDENSTATETORTOISE.COM
HermanniChris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Personally I don't think species like sulcatas and leopards should be bred in this country. I have never considered the view for not breeding species like elongateds and similar species. I don't think I am against the breeding of them. Is that hypocritical of me when I don't think leopards and sulcatas should be bred? I can imagine it must put you in a very difficult position though.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

simple as i am im saying sod it, go for it darren. end of the day its your choice alone, and we need more UK breeders like yourself, despite what species is being bred! although i can understand there being controversy of breeding leo's , as theres so many in the uk needing homes due to poor info on their sizes etc, and bad info from the pet trade, but not for elons, there not all that comman compared to others, they are truly beautiful though, go for it, although like i say its ur choice xx
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

Tropical tortoises are easier tortoises to keep than meds in my opinion.[/quote]

i also agree with you too sarah, before owning reds i was slightly scared, but now i find them easier compared to meds, as many peeps are scared thinking they are much harder to care for, when its not true, its great.
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
piglet
Adult

This is a mail i received this evening wasn't going to put it up but thought what the hell.

{ Darren it's great to see that some people can breed tropical tortoises like redfoots,yellowfoots and elongated in captivity but can you truly say that this is right as so many Mediterranean tortoises are abused with bad housing every year so can you really justify the breeding of so many redfoots etc that you can truly say they will get the correct care in homes they end up in.
How can anyone house these types of tortoise especially into adulthood and give them the room and correct environment they they need.
I see on the shelled warrior site that so many people are now going into tropical species but at the moment they are small baby tortoises that need relatively small enclosures so how will all these baby tortoises you supply fare into adulthood when winter approaches and they are confined to small miserable tables and rabbit hutches through the winter months which can last 6 months or more .
Darren I really feel you are letting your ego breeding these beautiful but difficult to house tortoises go to your head .
You seem responsible so why do this.}

This mail was sent via hotmail address anon
There was a lot more but it was a little too much to add here.
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Doesn't suprise me that this has been sent anon You place your tortoises in good homes so personally I can't see this becoming a problem as you will have ensured that the homes your babies have gone to are life long and if a situation arose that the tort could no longer be cared for in that home you would help find it a new home. You are a responsible keeper and you do whats best for your torts and their offspring.
I think something that saddens me about this is that this is possibly someone we all know and speak too sending you this. If they feel so strongly about there views then why do they feel the need to hide

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #18
jeff
Sub Adult

Hi Darren
Hope your well,To be honist i would incubate them .If they all hatch im sure you are more than able to find good suitable homes for 5 Hatchlings.Its not like you hatching out loads of them is it,As far as controversy over the tropical speices i my self feel they are much easy to cater for than any of the meds.Housing is simple once set up,Feeding is much more wider spread,Then you have our weather is much more suited to tropicals speices.
Old 24-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #19
yam yam
Sub Adult

well i think everyone is singing the same tune i think you need to do what is right for you
why do people have to send these emails and hide it is uncalled for epecailly knowing how much experince you have
i say go for it but you know what is right for you

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni
yam yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #20
Becks
Adult

hi darren
i dont see nothing wrong in hatching a few eggs ..
and this anon email has been sent by some 1 who has seen this post ..
and if this person is reading this post and sees my post why not step forward and say who you are (atleast have a back bone)
darren is doing nothing wrong in my eyes ..his sucess is amazing with tortoise..
and i know this through meeting darren in person and seeing his tortoise ..
i also know he doesnt hatch out all that are laid and really thinks about things b4 he does and dont let his tortoise go to just any home ...
he breeds for the love of tortoise not for the money in the back pocket like some dodgy ppl out there ..
and what really make me cross is when ppl send emails like this ..
if some 1 has somethink to say they sould step up to the table and say it i feel ...
sorry guys rant over ....
luv Becks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote