Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Missing/Found/Stolen

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Default Missing Hermanns - Suffolk/Kesgrave-FOUND

To put it bluntly I am beside myself - I can't sleep/eat properly and am missing Sid so very much.

Sid is our 15ish year old Hermanns male tortoise. He arrived here so very tiny in a horrid Viv, and has progressed from living in a tortoise table, to free roaming of the Conservatory with light/heat, to now having 1/2 time in the Conservatory and free roaming of our garden over the time he's been with us.

This year I intended to aclimatise him to natural living in the garden. I so regret that decision!

Our garden certainly isn't huge, and what I would consider very secure. 6 foot fence/brick walls, padlocks on all entrance. Free roaming guineas or bunnies have never escaped from our garden..

Anyways, Sid has now been missing for over 3 weeks. I have searched the garden day and night to no avail. Local Vets are on 'red alert', as are the local RSPCA centre.

People keep telling me he might have 'dug down' - but there are no places disturbed, and it's been so hot here. There are certainly no sheds/tubs we've not moved or looked under throughly.

If anyone does hear of a very handsome and healthy looking lad .. please let me know. I just need to know he is safe

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 20-05-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Mrs Frog
Adult

I am so sorry,we will all keep our eyes open and I really hope that you get him back very soon
You should also put a post of the RFUK forum in the tortoise section incase someone finds one or knows of one that has been found

I shall check preloved and gumtree for you too
Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Thank you - I am bordering on obsessional about him being missing and cannot get my head around anything else until I at least know he is safe and well xx
Sid is very much part of our family. He chased the cats, he cuddled up with the dogs.. he head butted the fridge for food!.. he is such a huge personality and we all really miss him.

Locally, I have contacted everyone who can be proactive - I've not put up posters etc.. as I know how unscrupulous certain people could be if they knew there was a tortoise like him lost

Today we heard there was a 'stray' tortoise in at our local RSPCA centre and rushed there, really thinking 'it' could be him. 'It' wasn't - 'it' was an older tortoise (won't name type/age/sex for ID reasons), second found/surrendered tortoise in so many weeks. First one being only a teeny one I hope they do not rehome until totally sure they are not missed by someone. It's just as well I didn't go along with my husband, otherwise I would have reserved 'it' as shell apparently very bumpy and tortoise not as hansome as Sid (who I must admit is a very handsome tort!).

Thing is, I just want him back - or more unselfishly, just need to know he is safe and well and being loved. I can't blinkin' sleep!

eta - I have an ad running on our local Gumtree x
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Mrs Frog
Adult

I really hope you have some good news soon
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
TortBabe
Adult

I wouldn't give up hope yet, he may still be in your garden Thinking of you xx
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Aliza
Juvenile

I have searched all the pet/tortoise websites I know with no avail, I hope you find him
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Easter Bunny
Adult

Could he still be in your garden and buried down?

I only say this because when mine bury themselves I can't find them. The soil doesn't look like its been disturbed but somehow they are under it.
(Mine are only little though)

Hopefully he is still in your garden.

Do you think someone could have got in your back garden and took him or do you think he may have escaped?

Crossing my fingers hes still in your garden
Old 04-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Sid&Nancy
Egg

To be honest, I can't see how he could have got out of the garden. We have 6 ft wall/fence surrond, and no gaps at all - we have free running rabbits, so if they are secure, we were sure Sid would be.
But..
There are no areas where he could have dug under that we can find. He's not a very ambitious tortoise at the best of times, and a slow, steady rambler rather than an escapologist!
However, it's so warm and sunny - surely he'd be out and eating? He always lumbers after the cats, trying to get a mouthful of cat ankle, and the temptation of them around the garden if he was about would be enough to provock him out of hiding?
However, we've searched and searched - dug round carefully with a trowl and upturned/moved everything he could possibly hide under/dig under.
Thre have been 2 different found tortoises this weekend that we'd been very hopeful about, but they haven't been him.

I am taking in two older rescue Hermanns tomorrow which was prearranged before Sid being missing. I am hoping their presence might prompt him to come out - if he IS here.
I just can't for the life of me think/find where he could be, and I have become obsessional for looking, day and night.
They certainly won't be freerange... large indoor and outdoor pens, but I can't go through this again.
I really miss him It's the thought of him being stuck/trapped somewhere

Aliza - thank you so much for trawling through sites for me, and to everyone else for their thoughts/advise and support, it means alot x

4 weeks ago, our garage/garden was broken into, and bikes were stolen. Sid was definately home at that time - it was 10 days later we could not locate him.
When we were robbed, we had a locksmith in, all locks changed, all gates secured with new padlocks - so we know the garden was/is as secure from any intruders.

Thing is.. I now have it in my head that 'they' might have spotted Sid - returned and clambered over our back wall in the middle of the night. They would have to have used a ladder to do this - at night - and the wall backs onto a main road. We also have persians and a sphynx, so a tortoise wouldn't have been the only animal they'd steal... Sooooooo....... I know this probably very unlikely but my worrying's gone into overdrive, like my nightmares !!

Last edited by Sid&Nancy; 04-07-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Mrs Frog
Adult

Oh I really really hope you find him,I know how sad you must feel,its terrible

When our 15 year old cat went missing,I couldnt eat or sleep,so what I did was print off a photo and made it into a leaflet and put it through everyones door,you have never seen so many people out searching,especially kids when a reward is mentioned,we had posters on lamp posts everything,2 days later she suddenly turned up at our door.It may keep you busy and ease the worrying and it may help
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Easter Bunny
Adult

Have you put posters everywhere? You probably have. Maybe say 'reward offered' on them. They wouldn't know how much the reward would be and you wouldn't have to give much. Thats just an idea,

I'd chip in to an award if you want to go down that road,