Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 22-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Laura Mac
Hatched

Red face New to Forum and going to be a Tortiose mummy soon

Hi All

My name is Laura and I live in Glasgow. I lived in Turkey for about a year and for 3 months looked after a tortoise in 2009 and have not stopped thinking about him since - Kevin.

I have now decided as I am turning 30 this year what a great excuse to buy myself a birthday present and get a tortoise - and this is where I am hoping you guys can help me.

I have been in touch with a breeder who has recommend I join this site for information but want to ask questions so I know I am making the right move.

I should be getting a 2012 hatchling spur thigh tortoise with all appropriate papers. (what does that mean by the way???)

I have been told a tortoise table with a heat lamp is the best thing to buy. Is this the case? What size table should I get?

As I live in Glasgow and is currently snowing the outdoor time will be limited which I have been told should not be a problem

Should I register him with a vet or just make sure there is one nearby and pay for any treatment?

What quantity of food is daily acceptable? and also do i just leave it in the table and clear away daily or have like meal times?

Can I have him walking around the house to stretch his legs a little when i am in?

Is bathing him twice a week ok?

Sorry I know I have a million questions but I want to make sure I am fully prepared and these silly questions are not generally answered in care sheets haha. I will no doubt think of more so watch this space but any info on the above or anything else you think I have not thought of would be greatly appreciated.
Laura Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Laura Mac
Hatched

Sorry just thought of more.

Do I need a basking lamp and and UV lamp? So 2?? Can anyone send me an example of their tables for youngsters so I can see what I need to set up.

Also, is 60w bulb ok for basking?
Laura Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemac168 View Post
Hi All

My name is Laura and I live in Glasgow. I lived in Turkey for about a year and for 3 months looked after a tortoise in 2009 and have not stopped thinking about him since - Kevin.

I have now decided as I am turning 30 this year what a great excuse to buy myself a birthday present and get a tortoise - and this is where I am hoping you guys can help me.

I have been in touch with a breeder who has recommend I join this site for information but want to ask questions so I know I am making the right move.

I should be getting a 2012 hatchling spur thigh tortoise with all appropriate papers. (what does that mean by the way???)

I have been told a tortoise table with a heat lamp is the best thing to buy. Is this the case? What size table should I get?

As I live in Glasgow and is currently snowing the outdoor time will be limited which I have been told should not be a problem

Should I register him with a vet or just make sure there is one nearby and pay for any treatment?

What quantity of food is daily acceptable? and also do i just leave it in the table and clear away daily or have like meal times?

Can I have him walking around the house to stretch his legs a little when i am in?

Is bathing him twice a week ok?

Sorry I know I have a million questions but I want to make sure I am fully prepared and these silly questions are not generally answered in care sheets haha. I will no doubt think of more so watch this space but any info on the above or anything else you think I have not thought of would be greatly appreciated.
Morning, Laura,
Glad to see you took my advice in joining here .
The paperwork mean's it's captive bred , some petshop tortoise's come with the same paperwork but when you look at country of origin it would say Slovenia or turkey or Macedonia.
One's bred in the uk will say so in the country of origin, they will also say in box one the breeder's name or in the dealers name in the case of imported one's. I would strongly advice you to buy from a uk breeder and not an imported one which could have come from the wild.
A tortoise table is the best way to go about 3ft long would be ok for the first few year's with access to outside on warm day's , this table would need about 3/4 inches of top soil has substrate it would also need a heat souse the temps need to be 32c at the warm end and 22/24c at the cool end of the table , it would also need some form of uv .
The way i feed them is mainly a weed diet with a calcium supplement the one i use is Nekton-msa which i add to there food 3 times a week.
The main thing is to get a table in place with substrate sort out the heat and uv .
Old 23-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
LUVLEE
Incubating

Hello and welcome I guess you're so excited about getting your baby.
You have done the right thing joining here ,I have learnt loads and this forum is very friendly and supportive even on issues non tortoise related.
Look forward to hearing about your new family member when he/she arrives.

1 Husband
2.0.0 children
1.1.0 Grandchildren
1.1.0THB (Saffron and Nutmeg)
2.0.0 Guinea pigs (Buddy and Beau)
[URL=http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/LUVLEEJU/?action=view&current=DSCF0137.jpg][IMG]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/LUVLEEJU
LUVLEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, scotland, spur thigh