Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
ziggy's owner
Adult

Good luck let me know how she is

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Rae
Hatched

Will do! x
Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
SeeShell
Adult

I might be inclined to up the warm end temp - to 33ish
Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
Rae
Hatched

Update:

Pickle perked up a bit yesterday so i fed them some of the new pellets i had bought (t-rex) and today both Cheese and Pickle have slept ALL day!

Is this because of the pellets?

I didnt give them a bath today as suggested, not sure if thats the reason they've slept all day?

They have both pooed today and it seems normal so for the moment i'm ruling out worms!

But they have only moved about an inch today and both not eaten anything! Any Suggestions? x
Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #25
Easter Bunny
Adult

My two babies seem to be more lively when the heat is above 30c, if its under 30c then they seem more sleepy.

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #26
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Rae
Personally I think it was a good idea to bath them daily, especially whilst so little. I dont think you can actually over bath them. (I bath most of mine daily - bit of ocd I think!) but its especially important if they seem a bit off or are not eating.

I have personal experience of a tiny Herman who couldnt eat & then went on hunger strike after I stopped their faveourite food & the way I got her to start eating & get better again was bathing. I think its really important & if you keep them in there a little longer they usually get out ravenous!

Id also up the basking temp a bit, as 28 isnt quite hot enough. Try these two changes & see what difference there is. You could also try some "reptoboost" in its bath, this usually perks them up, encourages eting. If no change & it continues for more than a few days after that I would suggest a check up/test for worms.

Also you say you tried them with Pellets, did you soak the pellets? and how many did you give? I believe you should aim for 1/2% of body weight. If they ate too much (they are very concentrated) this may be a reason they are both podged out & resting their full tums today.

Please keep us informed
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #27
yuna1971
Adult

They do have days where they don't necessarily be active. This can be without any reason. I would say that if it's days and days and after trying the suggestions above then maybe a poo sample could be tested. Temps - yes basking could be a little warmer but some days with lower outside temps..can also reflect what your ambient and indoor temps do. As does light quality, dull and dismal rainy days, with cooler outside temps can play a factor on behaviour. Monitor things, try different suggestions and if no better then a poo sample, and I would get one from each - for piece of mind. Good luck Miss Rae xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

have you read this sticky? http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=41747

one of my torts hasn't done anything for 2 days apart from sit in the pot, probably huffed at not getting outside.

if the temps are not warm enough they can't digest food and therefore won't want to eat more
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #29
yuna1971
Adult

Yeah thats what I mean..
Some days they just dont want to bother and it might not be for any underlying reason.
Or...just something simple as temps, dull dismal light...or just cant be arsed to do much.

Which is why just watching and seeing what they are like over a few days/week might be the way forward.
If the poo is a bit runny and nothing has changed in terms of the diet - perhaps this should be looked into. If not, just watch and wait...IMO.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #30
Rae
Hatched

Day 3:

Cheese n Pickle slept all day yesterday so i've upped temps today and given them both a bath.

Cheese fell asleep in the bath and Pickle fell asleep on the towel after the bath!

Today they had weeds in case it was pellets thats made them sleepy and they ate 1 small plantain leaf between them and dug themselves in for the night!

I've moved them to under the basking lamp and upped the temp to 32 to see if the heat perks them up a bit but so far they just sleeping.

With regards to pellets they are T-Rex and they were soaked in water. It says on packaging feed as much as they will eat in 12 hours! However they only ate about 2-3 pellets each anyway!

Yeah read the sticky Alan thanks.

I dont think they're sulking or just having off days they've done that to me before but they've never been off their food! I could be wrong though but its one hell of a sulk if thats the case!!

I think it may be down to the change from weeds to pellets so i will keep an eye on them today and tomorrow and if no better will send a poo sample off to the vets ..... long as i can get a sample!

Does anyone else have a problem with feeding pellets? Do they just need to get used to them or do i abandon the idea?

Thanks for all suggestions so far guys! I hate worrying!!! x