Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!
Unhappy Fluffys prognosis - not good :-(

I am back from the vets - without Fluffy.
His x-rays showed good bone density, so no MBD, but he is in a lot of pain with the leg. Although not broken, he cant use it for now. He said Fluffy has massive bruising of his shell and is in pain with that too
Also the x- rays showed up a MASSIVE radio-opaque mass in the caudal abdomen which is most likely to be a bladder stone.
Fluffys stomach was completely empty and the vet believes he is in severe pain with this mass, which cannot be passed naturally.

He is being kept in until further notice to be syringe fed with critical care supplements and Zolcal. he is being injected with anti-inflammotories and anti-biotics.
Their main concern is to get him eating before Monday when the other expert vet will be in to help prognosis and they will have the blood results.
The mass isnt caused by anything i have done and he feels it was probably there when i bought Fluffy due to the size of it.

If they cannot shrink or break up the mass using certain methods, they are talking about operating by going through the plastron. he said this is looking likely.
I am SOOOOO upset.

The other issue is the cost.
I have paid £136.56 today and i will be paying £20 a day plus med fees for every day he is there. I have to pay another £150 on Tuesday. The op will cost between £400-500 plus aftercare.
I am so upset as i know we cannot afford all this as my husband is on a low weekly wage and we obviously have other things to pay out for.
I explained this to the vet and he said we can work out some sort of payment plan, but we still cant afford it. I love Fluffy so much, and if this mass isnt dealt with, the vet said he will die.

I really dont know what to do and i feel like crying! I did get to see my baby and he perked up when he saw me. he came to me straight away and even the vet was surprised.
I wish he was home! Im so upset.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Oh Laura I am so sorry, poor Fluff and poor you. I really do know how you feel at the moment. I am struggling moneywise too, but would have loved to help you. I hate the thought of animals in pain. I would rather feel the pain myself. You feel so helpless.
Is there anyway you could get a 0% credit card and pay off the minimum amount each month. That is what I have to do at the moment. God know's how long it will take to pay off as I'm only on minimum wage and hubby isn't getting anything at all at the mo, but hopefully one day we will be better off and can pay it off.

If there is anything that I can do, let me know I will glad help out where I can.

Keep your chin up hun, you will get through this
xxxxxxx
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
alotoffluff
Adult

Because of the debt we got into when my husband was unemployed last year, we have bad credit, so we cant get credit cards. we have tried.
Ive just cried my eyes out.! My husband is furious that the little boy picked him up and thre him, but im just upset that my baby is ill.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
molbags
Hatched

I am sorry to hear the news about Fluffy, i was so fearful not knowing what was wrong with Dinky and even more so when i Knew, i take each day as it comes and that is all you can do with Fluffy.

If you need anything i will do my best to help.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
alotoffluff
Adult

Thanks guys, i need to set up a charity for Fluffy! LOL, bless him!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Hazel
Juvenile

Oh that's sad to hear, i hope things look up for poor Fluffy, i'd feel the same if it was one of mine.

Why not set up a Just Giving page? If you didn't feel comfortable with people donating to help Fluffy you could always do something and people could sponsor you? Just a thought, i'm sure lots of people would want to help you with this.

Or to raise money do what I do and raid all my possessions and flog them on ebay, you'd be surprised how easy it is to make £100 if you put your mind to it
Old 06-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Mrs Frog
Adult

I am so sorry Laura,I feel so upset too and Fluffy isnt even mine.I am thinking of you and the only thing I can say is that as you want to do anything you can for Fluffy as you love him so much,I think if you were to email this to The Sun Newspaper I believe they will pay for this treatment in return for your story.If you do it today then you will know you can get the money,you only have to do a brief outline of the story as they have their own researchers and story writers,if you feel that you cant do it as you are so upset,then I will do it for you,let me know so we can get your Fluffy well again
What about the parents of the child who dropped him,do they know?
Thinking of you xxxx
Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

Hi Hun
Sorry to hear this

I hope fluffs ok x x x x x
Old 06-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Jazzotang
Hatchling

Im so sorry to hear about Fluffy, i wish there was something we could do. If you do go down the fund raising route please pm me. I may not be able to help financialy, but if there is anything i can do to help raise money (maybe a raffle of sale or something)then please dont hesitate to ask.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Lyn
Adult

I am so sorry to hear this.Poor Fluffy I would have happily donated some money but my husband will be out of work again in a couple of weeks.
Is there anybody who could lend you the money and you pay them back in your own time?
Closed Thread