Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-09-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
goldblend
Egg

Default my torts dont like baths ? ...

i have recently adopted 2 x 2 year old hermanns (still figuring which types), we use a large red plastic tub with luke warm water , our larger one Axle doesnt seem to like it at all he goes straight to the sides and try to climb out and wont soak at all, the smaller one ozzie will rest for maybe 5 mins then does the same , are we doing something wrong ? as i have read they need to soak for at least 15-20 mins ?.
thanks for any advice, i will prob be posting lots of questions in different catergories to make sure i have got things correct so far ... as they where previously quite neglected with no uv lighting one is overgrown and has a pitted plastron, so is important for me to get things right asap and i was told here is the best place to ask.
thanks again
goldblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
tortoise lover
Hatchling

Hi i think a lot of tortoises dont like bathing,i have 2 and the youngest one just sits there and the older one trys to climb out all the time,Your plastic tub isnt see through by any chance cos it does make it worse if it is,if not i think it is just a case of them getting used to it in time,i soak mine every other day for about 15mins
tortoise lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Most children dont like bathing<g> but its good for them. Same with tortoises.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Most of mine are not keen on baths but it is essential to keep them well hydrated. Make sure you use a tub that is not see through.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Toni M
Egg

I brought a very deep cat litter tray from asda (bob martin brand).
Very deep and coloured. Is the water temp ok too?
Toni
Toni M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
shafach
Juvenile

One of my hermanns really doesnt like his bath either... i have got round this by putting the odd weed in there for him to munch on - seems to take his mind off trying to get out... xxx I use plastic flower pot saucers so they are deep enough for the torts to bathe in, but they rest their chins on the lip of the saucer which seems to make them relax a bit too... xxx

two hermanns - Mikey and Ralph
two moggies -Kenny and Roisin
one hamster -Trev
shafach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Mr Blonde
Egg

Mine are both ok with baths but my Aunties 60 year old tortoise really dislikes it and has not been bathed for over 20 years, I also have one of my tortoise that does not enjoy going outside, as soon as I put her out she heads for the back door and trys to get inside or she heads straight to the soil and buries herself, while Barney spends hours doing the figure eight around the lawn,they are all different and have their quirky little habits.
I think the most important thing is that they are having a good varied diet and have plenty of excercise.
I found the more research you do the more of a minefield it becomes with one person telling you one thing and another contradicting.
Mr Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
goldblend
Egg

no the tub we are using is a big red plastic biscuit box so not see thro and water is luke warm to the touch like a baby bath temp, the weed idea sounds good will try that, just was worried as big one wants to climb out and seems bit stressed when he keeps slippin but hopefully he will get used to it .
many thanks

Syrian Hammies Summer & Lucky
Mother to Willz (16) & Dan (11)
Wife to Hubby George
Part-time bakery worker,
as well as cook, cleaner etc etc
and exhausted ........
goldblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
shafach
Juvenile

Honestly, Ralph is exactly the same with me - and i used to get so stressed about it. Now, I just put him in the same time as Mikey goes in his, bung the odd dandelion or nasturtium flower in to distract him and just leave him to it. If he has a strop and gets out, I leave him - although more often than not he will lie there for about 15-20 mins. Some days he even gets in to his drinking water dish by himself and has a dip !!! They are such independent little critters... Just leave him do his thing, and I am sure once you get used to his little ways you will worry less... Good luck XXX

one hamster -Trev
Old 17-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
shafach
Juvenile

Just a final thought - can he get out if he wants to ? maybe a more shallow bowl - like the flower pot saucers I use would help him. That way he may not get stressed trying to climb out... Just a thought ... xxx

one hamster -Trev