Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
Toni M
Egg

Now I am very confused....
My VERY experienced vet has said that in the last few years people are presenting thier tort with symptoms relating to water.
Apparently when a tort bathes and they do thier stuff in the water, if the water is left in the cage (ie if it happens when your out at work) The tort can then go back and injest thier own waste. He strongly recommends that you dont leave water in their cage and only bath them daily as a lot of their water needs are found in food.
He feels that it can take many years of this happening before problems arise but when they do appear they can not be reversed.
Help, what do I do???
Toni M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
shafach
Juvenile

That is really good to know Toni, hadnt thought of that ?? now , I am worried !!! does that mean I shouldnt leave a water bowl in their enclosure when I am out at work?

two hermanns - Mikey and Ralph
two moggies -Kenny and Roisin
one hamster -Trev
shafach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Toni M
Egg

I dont know, hopefully an experienced tort lover will help. But I do have to say that my vet has been breeding torts for many many years and is very passionate about them and their care. I trust him but it goes against the advice of many!
T
Toni M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
shafach
Juvenile

Oh heck - another thing to worry about... i do love these little guys, but they don't half stress me out sometimes!!! as you say, hopefully someone will come along and share their wisdom soon... xxx

one hamster -Trev
Old 17-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
goldblend
Egg

well axle (male) is overgrown for 2 years old so i am told he is already 110mm and weighs 202g, ozzie who we now know is actually a girl is only 750mm and 87g ! so the tub needs be quite big for him, some suggested a shallow cat litter tray think that might be better and axle should be able to get out of that .... hhhhmmmm and admitely i been worrying about the water tray i leave in enclosure during day, but they usually pass urates when they in the tub so far havent done it in the small bowl xx

Syrian Hammies Summer & Lucky
Mother to Willz (16) & Dan (11)
Wife to Hubby George
Part-time bakery worker,
as well as cook, cleaner etc etc
and exhausted ........
goldblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
shafach
Juvenile

I have started a new thread to find out what others do, incase they dont read this one... I can honestly say that I hadn't even thought about their water bowl possible being an issue. But it kind of makes sense i guess...

one hamster -Trev
Old 19-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
kelle21
Egg

i bath my totoise about 3 times a week is that ok and she doesn't have any water in her viv cos she doesnt touch it so i didnt see the point
kelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelle21 View Post
i bath my totoise about 3 times a week is that ok and she doesn't have any water in her viv cos she doesnt touch it so i didnt see the point
They need water in there so that they can drink it or bathe in it if they like. On days like today where it's been warmer they have been in and out the water all day. Bathing 3 times a week is good but some people do it daily and some do it every 2nd or 3rd day. You won't know for sure if they have had a drink unless you have been looking at them every minute of the day but they should have the choice really
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
a_fisher
Hatched

Mine didn't seem to be enjoying his baths, so I just stuck a spare water dish I had lying around in there to distract him and now he spends bath time either walking in and out of the water dish or just sitting there. So I think distractions are good.

As alan says - I'd always keep water in the enclosure so that they can drink and bathe when they want to.

0.0.2 T.h.b

Last edited by a_fisher; 20-02-2009 at 08:59 AM.
a_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote