Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
Carpe&Diem
Egg

Hi Me Shell...thanks we will see what happens...we has some really nice looking wood before, but it was for 'dry' vivs...ours is humid so it went yukky. Hopefully this is more appropritate. I couldnt believe how much they like to climb...and high too! But the noise! Carpe cannt let Diem be out of his sight so all day its shuffle shuffle climb climb shuffle shuffle. We have them out in the evening to 'run about' in the lliving room...for peace and quiet!
Old 24-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Haha, my hubby is working where my Torty is and a couple of time he has brought her down to me and asked if I could keep her quiet for 5 minutes I usually give her a bath in the big bath. She loves that and paddles up and down it, as she normally bathes in a small tub
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
goldblend
Egg

thats a great set up, think id like to move in too , how much is the rent lol ...

ps. for whats its worth i trust the experts here much more than any vet or petshop anyday .... we maybe with the exception of hannah the vet. i'd had so much bad advice / information given to me before i joined here but now my adopted torts are just ssssssooooooo happy . thanks shelled warriors

Syrian Hammies Summer & Lucky
Mother to Willz (16) & Dan (11)
Wife to Hubby George
Part-time bakery worker,
as well as cook, cleaner etc etc
and exhausted ........
goldblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Carpe&Diem
Egg

Rent appears to be on an adhoc basis, currency used usually a mix of very smelly poo on the LIVING ROOM carpet or my dressing gown, and sheepish grins...so if you think you can manage that, then your more than welcome

This afternoon i was wondering if i was flexible enough to fit in the viv (i think i have seen too much of that Cirque Du soleil stuff) due to the nasty nasty weather and the tempting temp..unfortunately my lycra one-piece is in the wash so...

Yeah, its weird isnt it, the vet thing. Rodneyvet is who pointed me in (100%) the right direction, and i dont think the (very expensive, not that i mind toooo much as i was out of my mind with worry) vet told me anything new. He did quizz me quite extensivle about my husbandry as he knew i was a new owner, but other than scraping the old shell rot off (pre our ownership) and really annoying the torties, im not sure id hury back unless it was something completely mysterious. The local vet down the road seemed really enthusiastic to learn more about torties now he had some in the area, so i'm more likey to go there first after advice from here. Private Vet did have a VERY large twinkly rolex....

Glad Axle and Ozzie have found a happy home now, hopefully their past will all be forgotten. We had a re-homed cat at my parents, she was a mess and hid always. now....you have to leave the room from the roar of the purrrrring ALL the time..and i swear her face is stuck in a wide grin(she has one tooth left so its not attractive)...my dad curses her all the time as when she shakes her head ear wax flys everywhere.(its SOOOOOOOOOOOgross).. and feels the need to be with you alllll the time, but shes very very very happy,and thats all that matters! LOL..the walls get re-painted frequently as they are selling the house lol lol lol... she is so gross!
Old 24-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
joanna
Adult

I love your set up- I'm sure they'll be really happy there
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Carpe&Diem
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
I love your set up- I'm sure they'll be really happy there
Thanks ...Looks like I'll have to start wardrobe shopping soon though!
Old 25-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
Lou
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Lou

your tort home looks ace..!! I had a silmilar issue with my vet. I went to see him with Walter when I first got him as we found worms in his poo... not only did he tell us to keep him on paper in a viv (he had a tortoise there, it was in a viv ,on paper (the viv by the way was about 6 times the legth on the poor tort) he cut walers mouth when trying to worm him , it bled and he didn't eat well for weeks....

I am going up to "suss out" a new vet this weekend just to give walter a once over before we get another tort.. so hopefully .. that will go better (newcastle and Hannah are a bit far from me) like people have said though, the advice on here is great... people who have owned and successfully looked after torts as much as some of these guys have cant be wrong!

Horsfield: 1.0.2 Walter / Izzy / Tilly
Redfoot : 1.3.0 Ruby / Scarlet / Merlot / Ginger
Goldfish : 0:0:1 Splodge
Bearded Dragon : 0:1:0 Zuki
Springer Spaniel : 1:0:0 Bailey
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #18
Carpe&Diem
Egg

Yeah, i could understand if he had said..if you tortie is ill then temporarily have him on paper, but as a permanant feature?! Mine were there to have their shells checked as had funny bits on (old shell rot...funnily enough place i got them from not replyed to my questions as to what it could be) anyway, its old minor and sorted out now. I was worried if it was something fungal they would both get it or something since they share the same viv..but no, and they seem perfectly happy in their house. When your new at these things its very difficult to weigh up your gut feeling and that of an 'expert' when they dont match..but like you said, i only had to post it here and got plenty of support to say what i felt was better

Oooh...your getting another one?! i swear its addictive! i have two and have found myself lusting for more already, that yellow foot that was on e-bay i felt so sorry for, but just now there is NO WAY i'd be able to swing that one...my son has been waiting for a year to move to his new room....ooops!

I'm going to see if i can wait untill mine are big enough to be sexed, then decide if we need to get another one or see if we can have our own babies...(and keep them ALL!)

Good luck with your good-vet hunt! They themselves seem to be a very rare and saught after breed!

Cassandra
Old 27-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #19
3lli3 xx
Egg

it seems you have a viv fromm what i can see, and what i lovely job you have done on it. i am aware many say they are not rctical but as a fellow viv owner myself it looks truly wonderful, can you please let me no where you purchased your background from as i have been looking for 1 for my Jasper thanks.
3lli3 xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
linda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lli3 xx View Post
it seems you have a viv fromm what i can see, and what i lovely job you have done on it. i am aware many say they are not rctical but as a fellow viv owner myself it looks truly wonderful, can you please let me no where you purchased your background from as i have been looking for 1 for my Jasper thanks.

yes they are in a viv
but they are redfoots who need additional ground humidity

posh backgrounds
http://viviscape.co.uk/

http://www.herpsupplies.com/subcateg...m?id=13&sub=67
http://www.petsparade.co.uk/reptiles...m-backgrounds/
linda is offline   Reply With Quote