Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 21-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
alice_boots
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Kind of pointless if they don't know what they are signing...

That's my point... it seems that many in the chelonian world jump on a band wagon without having a clue what it is about.
If you don't agree with this petition, just don't sign it. You don't have to have a go at people just because they are doing something you don't agree with. Do you have to just make trouble??

1 Hermanns tortoise (Herman)
1 Newfoundland dog (Indy)
3 cats (Jack, Freddie, Bobby)
3 chickens (Dolly, Penny, Mabel)
1 hamster (Tristan)
alice_boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

This only makes trouble for those who find a signature pool of people who are willing to be whipped into a frenzy without giving much thought as to the end result of their actions.

I didn't say the petition was wrong although you are correct in that I don't agree with it an this kneejerk reaction.

If you think that my views are only expressed to start trouble... well... I can think of many easier ways to 'start trouble' on lists or in organizations such as this.

My intent is to provide some thought to any persons actions that they take without them giving it some thought because a petition such as this which is placed in motion and finally does take hold... is very difficult to take back. It takes an individual a second to place a signature and many do so without giving much thought as to how it effects others and, in the end, themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_boots View Post
If you don't agree with this petition, just don't sign it. You don't have to have a go at people just because they are doing something you don't agree with. Do you have to just make trouble??
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
ibizathetort
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
My intent is to provide some thought to any persons actions that they take without them giving it some thought because a petition such as this which is placed in motion and finally does take hold... is very difficult to take back. It takes an individual a second to place a signature and many do so without giving much thought as to how it effects others and, in the end, themselves.
The thing is Ed, you come across like you presume everyone else is thick and do not actually read things through for themselves or are incapable of forming their own opinion. Yes everyone knows that you are obviously a very bright person but you really need to get over it now, we all get the message. Maybe, just maybe, some people read the petition, what it was about, formed a decision in their own minds and.... signed it?
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
EJ
Adult

There are a hand full of people that do have a clue. I do think that most are thick.

What you need to realize is that these petitions impact you and your ability to keep a pet chelonian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
The thing is Ed, you come across like you presume everyone else is thick and do not actually read things through for themselves or are incapable of forming their own opinion. Yes everyone knows that you are obviously a very bright person but you really need to get over it now, we all get the message. Maybe, just maybe, some people read the petition, what it was about, formed a decision in their own minds and.... signed it?
and
Old 25-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
ibizathetort
Adult

Brilliant.
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 10-12-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
EJ
Adult

wow... if you've ever met me I know you would not get that impression... those who have I'm sure will attest to that. I just an average joe with a big mouth/keyboard.

Sorry if I come across as one of those arrogant *******s who I dispise.

I oppose total control... pretty simple. I oppose those who try to dictate what another person does based on their values.

ello? You in the UK now have to register tortoises. I know of a few shops which have been buffloed into not selling tortoises. (Pets@home the most recent).

Again... I got mine. One of the strongest proponents of control/banning has actually bailed the country. That's not only gotta make you think but also has to make you wonder of future legislation.

You are right in that I'm trying to use scare tactics... it's only going to work if you are affraid of loosing the privaledge to keep chelonians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I agree that Ed Pirog puts himslef over as being very superior. That's no doubt partly why he fails to convert anyone to his point of view.

He's also very active in opposing petitions which aim to preserve what is left of the chelonian species and his argument is that signing these things is going to mean that we are not goingt to be allowed to keep our tortoises any more. And then he accuses other people of scaremongering!
and
Old 26-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #18
EJ
Adult

Wise decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Ed I've seen loads of your posts and reached a conclusion that your heart is in the right place. But surely you cannot be surprised at people thinking you arrogant when you announce that most are thick and do not have a clue. Your posts are a demonstration of arrogance so either you write stuff you don't mean or you simply are an arrogant person.

Animal welfare is a complex issue involving ethics, culture and beliefs. Not just number crunching. Even if your intelligence is higher than someone else's that does not mean that their view has no validity. As human beings we have made oursleves custodians of what is left of the other species, and this role isn't reserved only to those whose problem solving capability is greater.

And having gone totally OT I am now going to shut up!
and
Old 26-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
Star
Sub Adult

0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Signed. Hope my sign is helpful

Tags
action, cruelty, petition, support