Shelled Warriors Forums
 

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #21
Jan W
Senior Member
Sub Adult
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,400
Default

Do keep us informed as I will be looking for the continuing story!

Good luck.
__________________
Jan
Horsfields - Bertie & Beatrice
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #22
steve56616
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 31
Default

I will keep the thread updated and thank you to everyone for their input and help
steve56616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #23
Suze65
Senior Member
Adult
 
Suze65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 6,658
Default

Congratulations, keep them dry vermiculite, it doesn’t need to be wet at all, or they can crack. as Sandy said , have a wide dish in there to provide humidity. If they are fertile , you will se the yoke sink to the bottom, in a few days, then you will see the shell go very white, this is called chalking, it’s usually a good sign. Humidity 75% . Good luck.
__________________
Suze.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 18-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #24
steve56616
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 31
Default

I have them on the compost which is pretty dry now. I didn't clean them as was unsure how to do it and was more worried about keeping them in the same position although thinking about it now I don;t think it matters just after they are laid. The soil on them might make it hard to see chalking but the candeller does work pretty well. I have put a tub with water in and hydrometer is reading 70 - 80 %
steve56616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #25
Suze65
Senior Member
Adult
 
Suze65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 6,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
I have them on the compost which is pretty dry now. I didn't clean them as was unsure how to do it and was more worried about keeping them in the same position although thinking about it now I don;t think it matters just after they are laid. The soil on them might make it hard to see chalking but the candeller does work pretty well. I have put a tub with water in and hydrometer is reading 70 - 80 %
When they are first hatched , you can move them, for up to 24 hours, and as you said with the mud still on , it can be a bit difficult to candle , and to see any chalking. I would keep the humidity at no less than 75%, and 32c it you want mostly female. In about two weeks hopefully, when you candle them, you will see the ring of life, this is a red ring around a little pink jelly bean.
__________________
Suze.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #26
steve56616
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
When they are first hatched , you can move them, for up to 24 hours, and as you said with the mud still on , it can be a bit difficult to candle , and to see any chalking. I would keep the humidity at no less than 75%, and 32c it you want mostly female. In about two weeks hopefully, when you candle them, you will see the ring of life, this is a red ring around a little pink jelly bean.
Thank you. Yes the humidity is at 75% exactly and i have the temp at 31.5c
I am used to incubating bird eggs and have done that many times so not turning is strange for me. I have a proper bird egg candeller with a long bendy stem so I don't have to pick them up. I will keep my fingers crossed to see the ring of life
steve56616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #27
CherryBrandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
CherryBrandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE England
Posts: 3,886
Default

oooh how exciting ! good luck and threads like this are very good for everyone as we all learn still and others gain knowledge and enjoy ! CB
__________________
Horsfields, Spur Thighed, & Marginata
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #28
steve56616
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Sorry I didn't update last year. Eggs sadly were infertile. However, there have been three good mating's I've witnessed this week. How long is the gestation period? Last year she laid on 17th June so wondered when to expect laying
steve56616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #29
sandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 11,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
Sorry I didn't update last year. Eggs sadly were infertile. However, there have been three good mating's I've witnessed this week. How long is the gestation period? Last year she laid on 17th June so wondered when to expect laying
Laying the eggs depends on a suitable place for them to lay (and some are very picky) and of course the right weather. As far as I know (I could be wrong) there is no gestation period, as if the conditions are not correct, females will retain the eggs until its the right for them. And retaining eggs from one year to another can cause problems. Although they will retain eggs from late matings when weather is cold, through hibernation until the Spring. I have two females who are eggy and have been since they woke up.
__________________
< > 60+, keeping ibera, graeca and box turtles
\0/
/_\

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #30
steve56616
Junior Member
Egg
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 31
Default

She laid today. 3 eggs. This time I am more hopeful as I witnessed a few matings over the past few months.
I haven't got them in the incubator yet as im running it first to make sure.
Can I clean them as they are a bit dirty from soil and makes it so hard to candle? I am also going to incubate at 32.5 for female. Is this correct?
steve56616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.