Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 17-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Becks
Adult

i would guess
Testudo graeca ibera
luv becks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #12
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Well done and said Andy, I think you covered all aspects well in your post.

As for the weeds you can order weed seed from the T-lady off her website and grow them yourself for tortoise food.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
idit85
Egg

Thanks folks for all your replies. I must admit this is kind of overwhelming stuff. I definitely will NOT put my turtles into my fridge! They will have to avoid hybernation or only 'partialy hybernate" as they did last winter in a cold bedroom (around 10 degrees celcius).
As for a turtle table:
1) I have 2 turtles about 20cm each. How big/small does this housing have to be? I live in a small apartment and have often all my kids (6) stay so I can't afford anything big or clumsy. Neither do I know how to "build" things.
Do the turtles stay all the time in these tables? they seem very "clostrophobic". My animals are used to roam around ~40sq meters, not being cooped-up in a box. Or do they only come in for the night? If so, won't the temp change/difference between indoors and out be too drastic (indoors ~25 degrees, outdoors between 10 and 15 degrees, in the daytime)?
2) What's this UVB light I read about? isn't the normal daylight/sunshine in a room good enough?
3) I don't have here any edible weeds neither can I grow them (they eat too much for that and I have no garden, only a porch). Can you please let me know as many as possible regular vegetables I can feed them, that can be found in any supermarket worldwide? (not specialized "greens" which we don't have here, such as kale etc...).
4) Do turtles need vitamins and calcium suplements? If so, what kind? (please advise only easily available ones).

Thanks again for all the help. Try if possible to answer every question with it's details... Thanks
Idit
idit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #14
Dazza
Adult

I'd like to see some clearer pictures but i am leaning towards Ibera, the front vertebral scute is rather squared !!!!

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi again Idit,

There are really no suitable vegies from supermarkets, if you have porch you can grow plenty of weeds in planters, and tubs, I grow a good few of mine in gro bags, and tubs full of compost.

The daylight inside the house is not any good to your tortoise as the glass in your windows filters out nearly all of the UV light that your tortoise needs, so that is why inside the house they need these special UV lights and also a place to bask if they are kept in on a daily basis.

Tortoises need a temperature gradient at night, so long as the temps do not fall below 10 degrees celcius then your tortoise will be ok, regardless of daytime temps.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #16
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I had to jump in . What Idit has are the native greeks to his area and parts of Jordan. They are ibera with the subspecies not determined yet They need studying badly. With proper shelter they should do fine outside as they'll be used to the winters he has. With a native animal outside all the time is the best way to go. They'll tell you when they are slowing down and ready for hibernation. Which in his area it won't be very long.
I happen to have 5 of these greeks and they are very hardy as compared to the "golden greeks". I've never had a runny nose or a refusal of food with these greeks.

Dan
Old 19-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #17
idit85
Egg

Thanks Dan. That sounds a lot easier. So you're saying that even when the temp goes to below 10 degrees they will be fine outdoors? after all, they were outdoors here for all their life until about 2 years ago (We picked them outside nearby)... I do have a waterproof shelter surrounded by bricks which provide some insulation. The shelter is dark though (no light and not heated. ). Is this ok?
Old 19-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #18
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Being dark and not heated in the shelter is just fine Idit If you could post a picture of your shelter that would be great. You'll have to face the opening to the south for the winter, that way it can get the most sun. You will probably have to insulate with some rigid foam boards as well as the bricks. How big is your shelter?

Dan
Old 19-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #19
idit85
Egg

it's just a box about 65cmx35cm. As an extention of it there is also a box which is nearly, but not entirely, waterproofed and is as big as the shelter itself. Like a tunnel extending from the box. I can't face the opening to the south without having rain get in. I need to make it face north-west. This way a wall in front of the shelter protects it from rain and wind. They will probably not fully hybernate but rather get out on warmer days and then they will get sun. We get days in the mid upper teens even in the dead of winter here, but also get sometimes a couple of degrees below zero for a day or two (and snow which melts within a day or two).
Old 19-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #20
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Idit your going to need a different box to hibernate them in outside. Preferably one made of wood with a waterproof roof. That way you can insulate it and have an over hang for the rain, that and a smaller opening. Your going to have to have it off the ground slighty too. If you want I can draw up some plans .

Dan