Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 03-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
MrsCorky
Egg

Default Keeping Giant Tortoises - Help & Advice Needed!

Hi All,

We currently have Marginated Tortoises which are great but this is leading to bigger things...................

For a few years now we have seriously considered getting Burmese Browns or one of the other giant tortoises. We would like to hear from anyone that keeps them as to housing for juveniles and then when they are older, their personalities, and what they require to be successful and happy.

We are lucky enough to have lots of outdoor space and understand that these tortoises are expensive to keep and can be destructive but we are willing to put whatever it needs in to keeping them.

We live on the South coast of England. If perhaps anyone is close enough we would love to be able to meet some of these amazing animals (and their owners too obviously!)

Look forward to hearing from you!

Claire
MrsCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hello and welcome to the forum, Claire.
I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on keeping larger tortoises but I am very envious of your land and having the space and time to be able to look into having some of your own.
There is someone on the forum who posts now and again and keeps Aldabras and Sulcatas. I think he's called Big Ted. You may want to look up some of his posts. There are lots of great photos.
Good luck with your research!

How many Marginated torts do you have? They have such stunning shells.
There are a few on the forum who also have Margies.

Anyway, welcome.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Wyannis
Hatchling

Hi and welcome. I'm jealous too! I would love sulcatas but my husband says no more pets.😭
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Daryn
Hatchling

Hi and welcome to SW would love to see your set ups and tortes when you get sorted so dont forget to have that camera clicking away

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCorky View Post
Hi All,

We currently have Marginated Tortoises which are great but this is leading to bigger things...................

For a few years now we have seriously considered getting Burmese Browns or one of the other giant tortoises. We would like to hear from anyone that keeps them as to housing for juveniles and then when they are older, their personalities, and what they require to be successful and happy.

We are lucky enough to have lots of outdoor space and understand that these tortoises are expensive to keep and can be destructive but we are willing to put whatever it needs in to keeping them.

We live on the South coast of England. If perhaps anyone is close enough we would love to be able to meet some of these amazing animals (and their owners too obviously!)

Look forward to hearing from you!

Claire
I was not aware they were a destructive tortoise, as they coime from the mountains.
Mary Datson on here might well be able to help, as I know she did or still does keep them. They are beautiful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Hello and welcome I keep a few burmese browns which are a very nice tortoise to keep and better suited to our temps than some of the others as they seem to like it a bit cooler as for babies you can keep them on a table as long as it has high sides as they are amazing climbers even my big ones will try and climb out over two foot side in their pen as for keeping them over winter they have free run in my tortoise room with a heat lamp which they never seem to use.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

There was someone selling Burmese Brown hatchlings on here a few years ago. (I think from the Norfolk tortoise club) I seem to remember they put a lot of info about care & what to expect. You will need to be signed in & then search for Burmese Brown threads (or full name) & see what comes up.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I don't think Chris is active on the forum these days but he got a couple of Burmese Browns.

They do look beautiful.

Gordon I didn't know you had any of this species but you are such a mystery with your exotic secrets!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
tortydat
Sub Adult

Hello Claire
I have four Burmese Browns who are rising eighteen and like Gordon says they are more active at cooler temperatures than the majority of tortoises. Mine don't like the very hot sun but prefer humid thundery weather and live outside in a heated potted shed from around April-October with access to a large outside area. During the winter they live in a large part of the garage. Being the world's most primitive chelonia they are a bit different and great characters.
Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Mary have you got any photos of your browns? Would love to see some. Is it the browns that build large nests?