Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #1
sandy
Adult

Default Whats the weather like where you are?

Here in Kent its been cold and very very wet, but thankfully no snow yet:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

It’s wet here and currently raining heavily. We have had nothing more than a little sleet that froze and looked pretty for a couple of days or heavy frosts, which suits me perfectly!
Not a fan of snow or ice so I’m happy to take the rain. Hope everyone is keeping warm, well and safe.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Yvonne G
Hatched

Yesterday the sun was shining and it was about 70F degrees. Lovely day for working outside. Today looks like it's going to be just as nice. We just had about 2 weeks of rain/sprinkles, so the sun is a welcome change.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Yvonne G
Hatched

Today I'm dragging my feet about going outside. I have the bucket of tortoise food all ready to go, but it's cold and foggy out there, and nice and warm in here! I don't wanna' go! Please don't make me!!!
Old 04-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Today I'm dragging my feet about going outside. I have the bucket of tortoise food all ready to go, but it's cold and foggy out there, and nice and warm in here! I don't wanna' go! Please don't make me!!!
All of mine are asleep thank goodness:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Well the sun is out and it feels like a spring day.
So tortoise related jobs for today are to finish off putting all the glass back in the greenhouse as I have moved it so I can put my other greenhouse at the end and join them together to make one long one 32 feet.
I have built all new boxes inside and will divide it up when done or im sure I will fall over something like I did outside the other day and tried killing myself due to landing im a log right on my hernia and scar... and yes it hurt.
Trying to getting these things done before I hopefully go into hospital next week.

Update hospital just called and cancelled again. More time to sort out torts.

Last edited by Gordon; 05-02-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Wow 32 ft? Very grand. What species are using this Gordon? Do you have runs off to either side? Boxes? Would love to see some pictures please.

I am debating whether to swop my horsfield greenhouse for a conventional shaped. The one I have has lined glazing & I don't feel it lets enough sun in! I could swop for a glass one & move it over I reckon it'd get much better natural light & sun... But at the moment it's hard to get motivated & it's just been so bitterly cold. Minus five here last night!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Wow 32 ft? Very grand. What species are using this Gordon? Do you have runs off to either side? Boxes? Would love to see some pictures please.

I am debating whether to swop my horsfield greenhouse for a conventional shaped. The one I have has lined glazing & I don't feel it lets enough sun in! I could swop for a glass one & move it over I reckon it'd get much better natural light & sun... But at the moment it's hard to get motivated & it's just been so bitterly cold. Minus five here last night!

Ha ha just seen this seems I didn't look at what I typed it should of said 22 feet long (fat fingers).
I don't like posting pictures of my pens as I get fed up with silly comments from people, had someone told me not long ago a picture I posted i had used off of Google even though I had just taken it myself.

Inside the greenhouse i have built a box the length of it, its two feet wide by one foot high. The reason for only being a foot high is to give the females a bit of peace from the males it stops most of them trying to mate all the time.
Then in the open are I have divided up the space and there is a ramp going outside through a hole in a piece of plexy glass then a ramp the other side. On the ramps I nail an old bit of carpet so they get better grip going up and down.
Also Inside the greenhouse I build a raised area for them to lay in and the rest is covered in slabs so laying is only done in the right place, well most of the time.
Outside is a bit boring compared to how some do things. Just large shade giving plants in large pots so they can't eat everything and I use one of the trays that you can put seed trays in sunk into the ground for water which works well.

As for which tortoises go out there its my normal group of Herman's in one bit then my group of Macedonian Herman's then morrocan spurthigh.
And I'm going to try again at getting my Indian stars outside if its hot enough.
Then the rest of the garden is owned by the Burmese browns. But if things work out there will be a few new pens built for some long awaited new things.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
tortydat
Sub Adult

It is still bitterly cold here in Wiltshire despite the sun shining. Our central heating boiler gave up the ghost earlier in the week so really noticed it! Managed to keep all the tortoises warm enough though with convector heaters so a large electricity bill coming up!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
Yvonne G
Hatched

I'm so glad to see someone has finally posted. Three or four days of "no new posts" and I start to worry about all you UK'ers. I thought maybe you were all buried under 6' of snow or something!