Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 24-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Default Breeding license

Hi guys, please can someone advise if i need a breeding license to sell my baby med spur thighs and do they also need to be Microchip ? matt xx
mattjstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjstar1 View Post
Hi guys, please can someone advise if i need a breeding license to sell my baby med spur thighs and do they also need to be Microchip ? matt xx
You dont need a licence as such.
But all adults and hatchlings need certificates before you can sell them. As its illegal to sell without. You can give them away without certs.
On the form on DEFRA site, you need the adults microchip number and their cert number for hatchling certificates. There is a cost for each cert, but have not bred for many years now so dont know the costs.:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Hi sandy, Thank you for the information the reason im asking is some people are saying i need a licence and others are saying no, also some are saying the babies need to be Microchip for sale too but that would mean i would need to keep them until they reach a certain size very conflicting information out there xx
mattjstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
tortydat
Sub Adult

You only need to have the babies microchipped once their plastron length reaches 60mm up until then you can sell the babies without but each baby still needs an Article 10 licence. To licence the babies you must first have your adults microchipped and then registered with Defra and think each of these licences will cost £31.00. Once you've got these licences you can then apply for licences for your babies and you need to put the parents details which includes licence number and microchip number and then the number of hatchlings ie clutch of say 10 hatched between the dates concerned with a plastron length of less than 60mm. The cost for the hatchlings is £31.00 for the first and then £1.50 for each additional baby. If the hatchlings are larger then they would need to be microchipped. Hope this helps a bit.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Hi sandy, Thank you for the information the reason im asking is some people are saying i need a licence and others are saying no, also some are saying the babies need to be Microchip for sale too but that would mean i would need to keep them until they reach a certain size very conflicting information out there xx
And this is why I stay here there is to many so say experts out there.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
DEFRA think its ok to micro chip with nano chips on hatchlings. But I for one think their legs are far too small:0(
So waiting until they are big enough is really the way to go:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote