Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 10-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Fressine
Egg

Default Scabies mites dangerous for tortoises?

Today I noticed that a sick fox was in my tortoise enclosure. I called the police and they sent the forest warden to my house. He told me the fox had scabies, shot it and took the cadaver away and the straw where the fox was lying. But the fox might have come in contact with the rest of the straw too and maybe with the tortoises directly. Does someone know if scabies mites are dangerous for tortoises?
Fressine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Sorry I have no idea but according to information someone has put on the internet .. "Scabies is caused by a specific mite that burrows in the skin. In animals (mammals), it causes what is usually referred to as the "mange". The Scabies mite is not known to infest reptiles"
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressine View Post
Today I noticed that a sick fox was in my tortoise enclosure. I called the police and they sent the forest warden to my house. He told me the fox had scabies, shot it and took the cadaver away and the straw where the fox was lying. But the fox might have come in contact with the rest of the straw too and maybe with the tortoises directly. Does someone know if scabies mites are dangerous for tortoises?
Tortoises should never be kept on straw.
Far better to use shredded paper and change regularly.
Straw can get moldy which can be fatel to tortoises:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Fressine, they should be ok but you need to mind! Scabies is very easily transferred to humans and foxes can be the worse carriers. If you see any buried in the skin and you will definitely know then smother in savlon either on torts or humans. there is bathing stuff and anti histamines are good too for humans. It isn't a dirty contamination they just exist a bit like a wood lice.....CB
Old 15-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Fressine
Egg

Thank you very much for all your responses. I wasn't sure if I should take the straw out because I was afraid of getting mites on my skin. At first I attempted to do it with gloves on but it was so windy that the straw was flying around so I stopped, took a shower and put on new clothes. I suppose if they somehow had gotten on my skin I would have noticed by now. But I'm relieved now that the tortoises should be okay. I think the mites will die after some time without a host. Also I will tell my parents your advice about the shredded paper as soon as they return. I'm just currently watching our pets because my parents are on vacation for a few weeks. But of course our tortoises don't only have an enclosure with straw, they can also walk around in our garden.
Fressine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think your parents should treat you to a holiday after this !! CB