Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 13-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Diapause in Tortoise Eggs

Diapause is a period of time that a tortoise embryo isn't doing any developing inside the egg. Some eggs diapause at the beginning of development, as in Pancake, Spider and Flat-tailed tortoises. Pancake tortoises don't need a trigger to start developing, but can take up to 3 months to start to do so. Spider and Flat-tailed tortoises on the other hand do need a trigger to start to develop. They need cooling down for a month or so and then incubating normally. This can take up to 4 cooling down period, a friend had to do this, to start development on some eggs.
Other eggs diapause during development and at the end of development. Some southern hemisphere tortoises, Leopards, Radiateds and Chacos, stop development during cold weather. All other tortoises that have eggs that diapause, Leopards, sulcatas, Radiateds, Chacos, hingebacks and all South African tortoises, Redfoots and Yellowfoots diapause at the end of development waiting for favorable conditions to hatch, usually the start of the rainy season. Leopard tortoise eggs in captivity seem to all hatch with the coming of a low pressure system at the end of incubation. Leopard tortoises eggs are also the one's with the longest incubation period of any tortoise, 540 days . It's just amazing a tortoise can live that long inside the egg!
Here is a picture of my pancake egg that has only just started to develop, so ignore the little red bit for now . The first thing a fertile pancake egg will do is get an air pocket as shown in the picture and be just yellow inside. Then the little one will start to develop after 1 to 3 months of diapause.

Danny
Old 13-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
piglet
Adult

Thanks for putting that together Dan.

Just like to add as Dan has said red and yellows need a humidity boost to about 80 % for reds and a touch higher for yellows to trigger the hatching process if this is denied they will often stay dormant for several weeks longer than the due date ,if humidity is denied for a great length of time especially in yellow eggs they will die.

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

A great thread, I knew that eggs can start to develope at different stages. Also that some
later than others. But didnt know the name, or that there was a lot of info about it. So this
is my learn for the day<g>.
I suppose I knew temps started eggs going, but not the other conditions. We live and learn.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Great information Dan, thanks for doing it.
Can this be a sticky please?

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
piglet
Adult

Done Pete.

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Thanks Darren, these are the sort of threads I like to see as stickys, we need more like this

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
aprillinda

thank you dan

a very interesting thread

learning is for life
Old 13-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I was very glad to do it and everyone is very welcome

Danny
Old 14-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Glitter

This is facinating - thank you Danny
Old 14-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Brilliant information Dan.

Its great to see even people with years and years of experience housing tortoises and breeding still being able to learn. Goes to show we never know everything eh!

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote