Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 23-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
JoesMum
Hatchling

Default An update on Joe (Pic heavy)

I’ve been more than a little busy in recent months, but thought I’d post a few pics of Joe by way of update.

Joe’s behaviour went from bad to worse in the spring. He wouldn’t stop pacing and attacking everything in sight. He wouldn’t eat, lost weight badly and wouldn’t drink. He had two liver infections and got admitted as an in-patient to the vet. His behaviour was so bad there that the vet sent him home… he called him a ‘little swine’ (with a big grin on his face).

The vet decided enough was enough and gave Joe an implant to reduce his testosterone level. It’s one that zoos use when they have to keep groups of males together, but don’t want to neuter them. Initially Joe was even worse… pacing all night as well as all day, but after 3 weeks he calmed down. He started eating and I have normal Joe back!

Joe is putting away unbelievable amounts of food. He’s gained 500g and now weighs a healthy 3.1kg. He is still curious and gets in the way. He still “loves” a good shoe. However, he is more likely to be distracted by a good looking dandelion on his way across the lawn.

What caused this hormone surge? I have no idea, but wonder if it’s a result of him not hibernating for the first time ever last winter. The implant lasts about 8 months, so we’ll see what he’s like next spring! He’s definitely hibernating this winter!

I’ve insulated a dog kennel and put a heat lamp inside it which is on a timer. It gives Joe a good ‘hot start’ on the cooler mornings. A climber of Joe’s capabilities doesn’t have a problem with the step.

Joe enjoying the clematis. On hot days he snoozes under it to shelter from the heat, snacking on it as takes his fancy!

He still uses his cold frame

And still hates the lawnmower!

He got through so much food, both grazing and stuff I gave him, this day that I gave him the large Romaine and standard lettuce I had in the fridge for us… it all went. I have a well-fertilised garden!
Old 23-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

Bless him, thanks for the update I love Joe!! Hes a character isnt he Hope he settles down long term now for you!
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Torterra
Sub Adult

Amazing story. Joe is magnificent. Looks like he is capable of breaking Flymo! Beware of the tortoise, now I understand how true this saying is.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
JoesMum
Hatchling

A few days ago, I was sat on the step in the evening sun with a glass of wine and gently rubbing Joe under the chin while chatting to him. My ankles didn't get butted and I have no bruises. He wandered off after a while and butted the drain cover, but not for long before going to eat.

I was really afraid the testosterone reduction would affect his personality. I'm relieved to say that it hasn't.

For those who want numbers: His Testosterone level pre-implant was 59.5 and is now 0.3. (Google suggests a'normal' breeding high for TGG is 35-50 with it dropping to around 5 out of season but I need to ask the vet about this when I see him next)
Old 23-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

That's really interesting, especially about the implant. I didn;t know such things existed for tortoises.

And great news Joe's feeding well and gaining that weight back too.
Old 23-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Daryn
Hatchling

I loved that story and photos, I also had never heard of the implants although Im no expert. Thans for sharing

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Such an interesting post about Joe. I'm really glad that the vet was able to give him in the implant and that it's having a positive effect.

Joe is absolutely gorgeous! Such a smooth shell.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
knottyedge
Hatchling

glad he's getting back to normal,he really is a lovely looking fella
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
longbowassassin
Hatched

thanks for taking the time to post the snaps of him and good luck with him..
longbowassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Crwban
Hatchling

What a handsome chap.
And a very interesting story - I'd never heard of the implant either.

He sounds like quite a character. Please keep us updated.

Crwban