Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Joe1992
Egg

Default New to The Forum with questions :)

Hi everyone i am new to this forum and have just recently got a horsefields tortoise, it is only a baby a few months at best i have it in a 3foot by 20inchs and 16inchs high. I have got all the setup done according to the caresheets and advice ive heard from other keepers.

I was just wondering do they benefit from being with other tortosies would they enjoy the company of another horsefields around the same age and size ?

many thanks Joe
Joe1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Joe, welcome to Shelled Warriors

One of the problems you would have if you introduced another tort is that you cannot sex them for a good few years. Although two females should live ok together, if you were to have one male one female he would contantly harrass the female, causing stress and probable physical injury.

An ideal ratio is at least 3 females to 1 male. Sometimes they have to be kept separate permanently.

Horsfields in particular tend to be quite aggressive tortoises, and seeing as your is a baby you would have no real idea of what sex it is.

Sooo unless you are prepared to have 2 separate set-ups I would stick to one
Old 23-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
JoesMum
Hatchling

Firstly, hello and welcome

Horsfields are solitary in the wild and only seek out company for mating purposes. They do not get lonely and they don't seek company.

In captivity, as they grow older,they can become very jealous of territory and food, regardless of gender and may not share nicely. Fighting horsfield style involves harassment and biting with blood being drawn and the less dominant tortoise going into decline possibly becoming ill and dying.

Any new tortoise to your household must be kept in quarantine, completely separately, for at least 6 months for the sake of both tortoises.

If you get a second tortoise you must accept that this may have to continue as a permanent arrangement. Only get two if you have the space to accommodate two tables on a permanent basis.
Old 24-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
EJ
Adult

No one really knows if they seek out another tortoise outside of breeding but most tortoises do seem to benefit from the company of other tortoises.

There is some good documentation that tortoises do congregate in the wild for whatever reason.

Youngsters really don't seem to care when it comes to the sex of the tortoise. If you are going to introduce another tortoise of an unknown sex the younger the better so they have the chance to grow up together.

Here is a good general guide that might help you with this and other questions you might have.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Tort.../dp/0793828821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1992 View Post
Hi everyone i am new to this forum and have just recently got a horsefields tortoise, it is only a baby a few months at best i have it in a 3foot by 20inchs and 16inchs high. I have got all the setup done according to the caresheets and advice ive heard from other keepers.

I was just wondering do they benefit from being with other tortosies would they enjoy the company of another horsefields around the same age and size ?

many thanks Joe
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
amph55
Egg

I ve read that tortoises are quite happy alone and they prefer their own territory. amph (also fairly new to sw)
amph55 is offline   Reply With Quote