Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
hermiones mum
Incubating

Default stressed tort

My hermanns seems to get really stressed from time to time. He spends many a day stomping round the house, quite happily, and the times he's in his viv, he almost always fine, but occationally he tries climbing up the glass. Ive put something on the outside of the glass, as I read glass can confuse them, but dont know what else to do.

Proud owner of Hermione, the Hermanns
hermiones mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
JoesMum
Hatchling

Stomping is the best way to describe a tort's desire to escape if he can see out. They are never satisfied if they know there is a wider world. It may be time to use a tortoise table where he can't see through the walls.
Old 19-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermiones mum View Post
My hermanns seems to get really stressed from time to time. He spends many a day stomping round the house, quite happily, and the times he's in his viv, he almost always fine, but occationally he tries climbing up the glass. Ive put something on the outside of the glass, as I read glass can confuse them, but dont know what else to do.
When Herbie does this it usually means he wants something. I usually feed him and he settles down. I think it means they are warm enough to go find food and want to stomp off somewhere. So feeding him satisfies his desire and he goes back to basking.
Herbie is in a viv too and he is 12 so there is no need to change him to a table. And he can see out of the front. If feeding doesn't settle him, let him out for a wander or make sure his water bowl is full, he may need a drink.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband

Last edited by pagan queen; 19-04-2012 at 07:19 PM.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
EJ
Adult

This is not quite true. A tortoise can be on a quest if it his thursty, hungry or horny... regardless if it can see out of the enclosure or not.

Actually... if the tortoise can see out it will usually pace the perimeter. If the tortoise cannot see out it will usually scrape or try to dig out in a corner of the enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesMum View Post
Stomping is the best way to describe a tort's desire to escape if he can see out. They are never satisfied if they know there is a wider world. It may be time to use a tortoise table where he can't see through the walls.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Laura1988
Incubating

My mums tortoise is exactly the same at the moment. I think it might be because he got to go out in the warmer weather but since it's been raining he has to stay inside
Laura1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
hermiones mum
Incubating

Ive tried feeding him, he has water, yet nothing seems to passify him. The odd thing is, his whole viv is glass, yet theres only one 'wall' he tries to climb up.

Proud owner of Hermione, the Hermanns
hermiones mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
JoesMum
Hatchling

Joe's been stomping the last few days too. I think he wants to get back outside as well.
Old 23-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermiones mum View Post
what about an outside run for him instead of the floor , it would benefit him from natural uv
Old 23-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
cherylahutch
Adult

My horsfield does this occasionally but he also likes the glass on his viv. We usually just let him have a wander in the sitting room or put him outside if it's nice enough to go out. He quite often sits and watches us rough the glass and is quite chilled. Maybe they just fancy a climb and a stomp about.