Shelled Warriors Forums
 

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

If they are in seperate containers... how is that different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
Hibernating mixed species in a shed would be ok , however i wouldn't mix species if you intend to use the fridge method .
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
NATURALIS
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cheshire
Posts: 3,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
If they are in seperate containers... how is that different?
In my opinion there in a confined space in a fridge where there all breathing the same air .
__________________
Home bred tortoise's available all year round,
Hermanns , spur-thighed ( ibera ) pm for details
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

To help the new keeper understand... Does temperature factor into the equation.

A tortoise room is going to have a higher chance of transmitting a disease than a closed fridge... why... temperature.

So... you are going to tell all the tortoise keepers that you have a seperate room/yard for the different species you keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
In my opinion there in a confined space in a fridge where there all breathing the same air .
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
Neddy
Senior Member
Sub Adult
 
Neddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,456
Default

Ok opinions shared let the OP make his own choice xx
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
NATURALIS
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cheshire
Posts: 3,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
To help the new keeper understand... Does temperature factor into the equation.

A tortoise room is going to have a higher chance of transmitting a disease than a closed fridge... why... temperature.

So... you are going to tell all the tortoise keepers that you have a seperate room/yard for the different species you keep.
To answer your question i personally don't mix species even in shed's .
__________________
Home bred tortoise's available all year round,
Hermanns , spur-thighed ( ibera ) pm for details
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

Do you not think the exchange helps the OP do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
Ok opinions shared let the OP make his own choice xx
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

You have more than one species and they do not share the same room or yard?

How do you hibernate your tortoises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
To answer your question i personally don't mix species even in shed's .
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #18
NATURALIS
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cheshire
Posts: 3,472
Default

Ed get a grip , i have over 35 years experiance with keeping tortoise's but seeing as you asked , i hibernate them in commercial fridge's , other's hibernate in greenhouse's.
__________________
Home bred tortoise's available all year round,
Hermanns , spur-thighed ( ibera ) pm for details
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
Neddy
Senior Member
Sub Adult
 
Neddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,456
Default

sigh......................goes and sits in corner xx
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

No need to.

Each species is totally seperated? How many greenhouses do you have?

I'm only trying to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
Ed get a grip , i have over 35 years experiance with keeping tortoise's but seeing as you asked , i hibernate them in commercial fridge's , other's hibernate in greenhouse's.
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.