Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 24-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Gordon
Adult

Years ago when i bred chameleons and bearded dragons i made a incubator out of a fridge and i used a large heat mat in the bottom and a heat cable which i clipped on all round the sides all the way up to the top it worked a treat so if you cant keep it warm try a heat cable aswell
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The other thing is you might want the water above the heat and not below the heat. The water being cooler will have an effect on the temperature. You'd also get a better temperature in the whole fridge if the egg containers were on a grate or rack (taking out the glass shelf) to let the warm air circulate more freely in the incubator. Also remember you can adjust the shelf height to get the right temperature for the eggs.

Danny
Old 24-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

Good luck with your interesting idea. What about threading a fish tank air pump line to let air into the fridge? If you already have a hole in seal you could thread it through that. Might not loose soo much heat then?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Good luck with your interesting idea. What about threading a fish tank air pump line to let air into the fridge? If you already have a hole in seal you could thread it through that. Might not loose soo much heat then?
That's a good idea, or just a bit of garden hose pipe x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
zx4g
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
That's a great idea, I have one tucked away that I'm not using, will give it a try. Thank you
Old 24-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
zx4g
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
The other thing is you might want the water above the heat and not below the heat. The water being cooler will have an effect on the temperature. You'd also get a better temperature in the whole fridge if the egg containers were on a grate or rack (taking out the glass shelf) to let the warm air circulate more freely in the incubator. Also remember you can adjust the shelf height to get the right temperature for the eggs.

Danny
Thank you Danny, i will rearrange things.
Old 24-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
zx4g
Hatchling

Better?

I haven't got another grill but will look at getting one or two to replace the shelves. Thanx again everyone
Old 25-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Looks good

Danny
Old 25-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx4g View Post
Better?

I haven't got another grill but will look at getting one or two to replace the shelves. Thanx again everyone
Looking good i can see a little side line coming on all you need is some transport and a bag of bits and hey presto a mobile incubator maker all you need is the customers to supply a fridge
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

We've just incubated six Musk turtle eggs - five have hatched just the last one to go.

We put them in a cricket tub on vermiculite with the lid propped open, inside a plastic storage box half full of water. This was heated by a fish tank heater with a small filter to keep the water moving. The cricket tub stood on a plastic rack (the "shelf" that is used under the gravel in a fish tank). The lid of the main box was opened daily. This then all stood on a polystyrene lid on the kitchen worktop. A digital thermometer told us the temperature and what/if it fluctuated to together with the humidity levels.

It obviously worked well as we have five 4g baby Musks!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote