Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 25-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
Laura1412
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
That's why I think, a halogen bulb and uv strip are better in a small set up.
Thanks suze so iv just got to sort out a wattage fora halogen then what wattagedo u think
Laura1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #12
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Laura. Yes I say raise the bulb until the hotspot is 32c. Don't worry about uv in the short term. I think your tort feels warm enough without basking because of the high background temperature. I also agree with the idea of the heat building up inside the enclosure because of the high sides.

As the weather is going to get warmer the heat problem might get worse. One way to tackle it might be a good uv strip and a much lower wattage halogen bulb which should be nearer the floor of the enclosure. That would allow for a greater difference between the hotspot and the cooler part of the enclosure which I think would mean the tortoise would come out of hid hide, get warm under the lamp and then move away to the cooler area.

Even better would be to find a way to get the tortoise outside safely in the better weather.
Old 25-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #13
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura1412 View Post
Thanks suze so iv just got to sort out a wattage fora halogen then what wattagedo u think
I suggest a 50 watt halogen or maybe less in this type of enclosure. If it was me I would try different wattages at different heights till it seemed right. The good thing is that halogen bulbs can be got quite cheap but make sure its the correct fitting.
Hope this helps a bit!
Old 25-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #14
Laura1412
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi Laura. Yes I say raise the bulb until the hotspot is 32c. Don't worry about uv in the short term. I think your tort feels warm enough without basking because of the high background temperature. I also agree with the idea of the heat building up inside the enclosure because of the high sides.

As the weather is going to get warmer the heat problem might get worse. One way to tackle it might be a good uv strip and a much lower wattage halogen bulb which should be nearer the floor of the enclosure. That would allow for a greater difference between the hotspot and the cooler part of the enclosure which I think would mean the tortoise would come out of hid hide, get warm under the lamp and then move away to the cooler area.

Even better would be to find a way to get the tortoise outside safely in the better weather.
Thanks johnathan I av got a t8 tube across the middle of enclosure now I only use the mvb as it's the highest war bulb I ad to put in after removing the plexiglass top to ensure it was warm enough I have removed the slate from under it and I'm getting a reading of 33 so it still needs to go up higher I'm takin him to the vet tomorrow to be checked over just to make sure he is alright so fingers crossed
Old 25-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #15
Laura1412
Egg

I am also in the process of making a box to put him outside in good weather I'm thinkin of around 10/12 ft I can't let him roam as it's not safe to many ways to escape
Old 25-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #16
Laura1412
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I suggest a 50 watt halogen or maybe less in this type of enclosure. If it was me I would try different wattages at different heights till it seemed right. The good thing is that halogen bulbs can be got quite cheap but make sure its the correct fitting.
Hope this helps a bit!
Thank you johnathan this helps a lot thanks I'll look into the bulbs my room temp is 21 so would that be ok on the cool end
Old 25-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #17
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Laura, yes 21C cool end is OK.

A 10 foot box for outside sounds good. I'd suggest don't make the sides too high then the sun can get in. I have a simple wooden thing I made for some babies that has chicken wire over the top so the babies can't get out and nothing can get in to harm them.