Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 25-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
lincolnsmommy
Egg

Lightbulb Outdoor housing for my horsefield advice please

Hi all

Im moving into my own house in a couple of months so can finally get my tortoise into a proper enclousure. Shes currently indoors but i think its a shame.
I want to get a potting shed for her built on a slabbed base filled with soil, tortoise life etc. I also want to find a way of maybe having a small hole in the side of the shed which leads onto a open (but fully secure) enclosure which i could open in the morning for her to get some natural sunlight etc.

I wanted to ask whats best to use to insulate the shed? what size is best for 1 horsefield and is there any advice of making it extra secure?

I will be using breeze blocks for the run outside of it and the shed will have chicken wire around it but maybe something else to help?

Thanks in advance for your advice
lincolnsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Mine are in a wooden outbuilding and I have used chicken wire to keep the rats out. I have put loft boards on the floor, on top of the concrete (already there) for insulation. However they do have a house within the outbuilding as I wanted them to have super-duper protection against rats. I have seen how rats have gnawed through wood to get into my chicken area. They go to their house (Beatrice takes herself in about 4 and I often have to put Bertie in as it is getting dark) and I close up the drawbridge at night.

I'm still offering them lamps, a ceramic one in their house and an MV lamp in the outbuilding. This is because it is their first year out of living mainly in the house, as I only put them out on a daily basis on nice days - but I have learnt!

There is an opening for them to go out into their enclosed garden.

They have top soil in their house and pea shingle in the outbuilding. Originally I put top soil throughout but it was dark and messy. Because I reduced the top soil I also put an old dog bed in full of soil, but other than occasional walk on it they don't bother.

Outside I have probably gone over the top as I have wire going 18" down and over 5' high to keep put foxes and our visiting cats.

Outside they have areas in the sun and shade, with protective areas such as conservatory roofing and a plastic greenhouse. This year I want to give them something like a cold frame. I'm still experimenting and of course keep getting lots of ideas on here.
Old 26-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

Hi there & welcome
Cellotex, kingspan or sheets of polystyrene are good for insulation ( to be honest I find the polystyrene just as effective as more expensive stuff) remember you will need to protect the insulation with perhaps plywood (or I have used the loft boards) they are good very thick & I think insulating themselves.

My friend uses cat flaps in her sheds but I just cut a hole & add a hinged flap over, with a bolt. I also have some slide in type (2 pieces of wood to make a "rail " either side of doorway & plywood door) very easy, I made them myself, so not lookers!!

Horsfields are good escape artists, very good! So you need high unclimbable sides & maybe something under the soil to stop them digging out. Chicken wire is not re recommend ed as torts can get caught in it. Slabs are a maybe?

As for size the smallest one would be plenty for one horse. (But they are addictive! So you might get more) + it might be that you want to use it for potting etc

(Basically you don't have to spend all that money. A kennel or small shed would be fine)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote