Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 30-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
peanut
Egg

Send a message via Yahoo to peanut
Default R.n.s

Hi I'm new to this site so don't know my way around so hope this gets to the right place
One of my baby tortoise has started blowing bubbles through its nose, it is eating ok, although I feel it is a little lethargic I suspect (runny nose syndome) I have a vet appointment this afternoon, but I am not too confident that they are geared up to the problem I tend to know more about tortoises than they do any suggestions as to treatment please (baby spur 12months old ) thanks
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

I would suggest you get your vet to phone a tortoise vet to help with advice.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

And vitimin jabs do nothing for RNS, which is something most non tort vets suggest.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
peanut
Egg

Question thanks Sandy

Thanks for reply, yes I know about the vets favouring vitamins as a cure all unfortunatly we have noboby in the know here ! it's normally me they all come to. my problem is I have not come accross rns in such a young tortoise and am wary of the vets dose rate for baytril at this young age, plus am at a loss as to how this one should have got it in the first place all the the other hatchlings are ok
Old 30-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Thanks for reply, yes I know about the vets favouring vitamins as a cure all unfortunatly we have noboby in the know here ! it's normally me they all come to. my problem is I have not come accross rns in such a young tortoise and am wary of the vets dose rate for baytril at this young age, plus am at a loss as to how this one should have got it in the first place all the the other hatchlings are ok
hi to see rns in one so young without any contact from an infected animal it has to be environmental so why arent the others sick.because spurthighed are reputed to require drier conditions than other torts these youngsters can suffer from dehydration particularly when kept under heatlamps indooors some prefer to drink in a daily bath yet others refuse to drink so you need to ensure there is fresh water available at all times preferably in a container they can get right in and out themselves,do you have access to a hygrometer to accurately check the rooms humidity to confirm.you should supply a humid hide in the warmest part of the enclosure dont force them in they will seek it out if it is required.
terry
Old 30-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
rachel30b
Sub Adult

hi, my baby hatchling of two weeks got rns, its weighed 20g and the vet could work it out, it was something like 0.0.1. ml it the was first mark on the injection

so i wouldnt worry to much about the vet working out the amount, my vet isnt a tort vet either

how did you get on with the appointment, have you separate the tort from the others ??

5 hermans, bob, frank, simpson, marmalade and johnson
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
peanut
Egg

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi, Thanks to everyone for replying to my question on RNS, we got on well at the vets, I have some good old Baytril ! Baby in my hospital unit and still eating like a hunter, It's typical Pip was very lively at the vets (like tooth ache) goes when you visit the dentist but Im taking no chances Pip is in CARE for a while !!