Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

The T5 arcadia desert tubes seem to last a very long time in my set-up and I think they do work out cheaper although we do need something for heat as well.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
yuna1971
Adult

IMHO, people may say the Arcadia strips are better but as with the MV combined bulbs, the tort may not want to sit near a UV source all day long. I've said this point before. The T5 strip and the combined bulb are great items...but just like a tort won't sit constantly under the beam of the combined, he also probably won't sit right next to the strip. So effectively IMO, they are aiming for the same outcome and probably have same pros and cons.
Lily for instance first thing opts for mainly heat under his ceramic which I angle in towards the basking spot but aiming off centre (where the main combined bulb will shine). He'll then manoeuvre in and out of that main area.
I tend to think well the sun isn't shaped long and square. Just my opinion.
xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi Rach,

Please let me clear a couple of points up, you have really got your wires crossed.

The issues with M.V is that it is uncontrollable, it only produces heat and Uv in a very small area and as the heat is linked to the UV it is entirely possible that the animal will over heat and move before it has has chance to complete the D3 cycle. Now comb is are great! But they are great just for a couple of hours first thing as a boosting zone.

Linear T5s that are properly reflected are the opposite of this, they produce vast amounts of visible light which is another benefit to reptiles and as much Uv as a combi but over a much bigger area and without heat.

This means that you can make full use of the light and shade method over a targeted area to re-create wild levels of exposure per species and per height of enclosure.

This then means that the animal regulates it's own level of exposure and takes from the environment that we have provided all ghat it needs to thrive. This is evolutionary behaviour in miniature.

T5s really help as they along side a stat controlled heat spruce give you total control over the heat and light gradients. The animal cannot overheat but can take all that it needs from the energy provided.

They last a very long time and are not subject to flickering.

When used as part of the light and shade method in a well fed and well hydrated animal this system really does offer the best protection that science and tech can currently offer.

The right reflector will generate a very wide area of emission, again this is very useful, we are then bake to compare a spot with a flood source of light with all of the graduations of the emission.

I really cannot think of a limitation to these systems.....only that they can raise the index above that of wild exposure if fitted too close,

As always I am wiling to help more on this subject if required.

John

QUOTE=yuna1971;622174]IMHO, people may say the Arcadia strips are better but as with the MV combined bulbs, the tort may not want to sit near a UV source all day long. I've said this point before. The T5 strip and the combined bulb are great items...but just like a tort won't sit constantly under the beam of the combined, he also probably won't sit right next to the strip. So effectively IMO, they are aiming for the same outcome and probably have same pros and cons.
Lily for instance first thing opts for mainly heat under his ceramic which I angle in towards the basking spot but aiming off centre (where the main combined bulb will shine). He'll then manoeuvre in and out of that main area.
I tend to think well the sun isn't shaped long and square. Just my opinion.
xx[/QUOTE]
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
yuna1971
Adult

You've quoted me John...but am I missing your answer.
IMO...do you see what I mean ? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulbs, lights, tortoise enclosure, uva, uvb