Name:
ULTIMA Mediterranean Organic Flower & Weed Mix
Item#:
TOC0009
Price/ea:
£6.50

ULTIMA
Mediterranean Organic Flower & Weed Dietary Supplement
A blend of mature organic weeds grown in calcium rich soils. This supplement has been sun dried and then finely ground to preserve the high concentration of natural trace elements. This is extremely valuable in correcting deficient diets, bone growth, and reproductive functions.

Instructions for use:-
Dusted on food to help balance diets, soak desired green leaf foods in water and shake dry. Sprinkle desired amount on food and serve.

Edible flowers & weeds high in dietary fibre,
low in protein & excellent calcium to phosphorous ratio's.
Helping to maintain healthy digestion.
All Ingrediants measured at 10g per item = 120g
1- Plantain
2- Chickweed
3- Blessed Thistle
4- Milk Thistle
5- Vetch
6- Mallow
7- Red Clover
8- Bind Weed
9- Russian Vine
10- Dandelion
11- Opuntia Ficus - Indica
12- Sedum
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
Pussygalore
Adult

so its used instead of Nutrobal or similar? or as well as
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I've been using it for about 2-3 months now, maybe 2 -3 times a week, i literally just sprinkle over the top of the weeds, Zen likes it and eats more when it's on. I Don't add nutrobal or lime flour when i use it. Sometimes i struggle to find a variety of weeds to give and i think this 'livens' up the taste if you like. No runny poo's or constpation when using either.

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
Pussygalore
Adult

please don't take this the wrong way but if you and lots of others struggle to provide the variety needed to provide and adequate balanced diet by weeds along and resort to salads or similar then wouldn't you be better to consider adding a decent pellet, even if only a couple of times a week. Supplement or not a sprinkle of this will only do the same as using nutrobol or similar it can't provide the lacking in the diet or make it right. A bit like living on bread and taking a vitamin pill, there is now much better complete or just natural pellets available and for those adamant against their use at least read the latest threads etc on the success thats now being found using them if only in the winter.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #25
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I think most of us neutrobal for the Vit D supplement mainly and this product doesn't contain one. Calcium can be added in numerous ways and most of us use limestone flour or some other version of it and/or cuttlefish.

I'm not sure what deficiencies the concentrated weed powder would be making up for. If the supplement was added to weeds that are high in oxalic acid I don't think the presence of the powder in the meal would counteract it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Like most stuff additives, supplement's, pellet's, cob's to feed, when a keeper has had a Tortoise for a couple of years start to look and ask question's, feeding changing diet's/or supplement's has to be researched or should be, and make there mind up. The powder may be ok with the 2:1 ratio. Is Russian Vine ok to feed as i can get my picky hand's on this. Add it to the 30 odd edible plant's and flower's the Tort's get.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #27
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelled Lady View Post
What would you be feeding your tortoises then if not quite a few on this list? I have been feeding four of these quite regularly for decades! Dandelions become almost a staple at certain times of year!
Nearly every British edible wild plant comes under the moderation rule, which basicly means mix em up a bit, as not much printed research is about on what they actualy contain. Dandilion is one of the exceptions as it is consumed by humans again. It is a strong diuretic, mid oxalate's on some list's, good calcium. Not picked out a lot by my Tort's if left to graze/forage. Plantains, Vetch, Thistles, Mallow, Sedum would go down well with them. The other's very occasionly. The Opuntia i let the Med's and African's have a full plant each, about 4 pad's on each, as an experiment outside in the summer, over a period of a month both species only nibbled very small bit's off. Mainly ignored, they do get a pellet meal as a weekly supplement, so maybe what they may lack without it is not needed.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #28
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
please don't take this the wrong way but if you and lots of others struggle to provide the variety needed to provide and adequate balanced diet by weeds along and resort to salads or similar then wouldn't you be better to consider adding a decent pellet, even if only a couple of times a week. Supplement or not a sprinkle of this will only do the same as using nutrobol or similar it can't provide the lacking in the diet or make it right. A bit like living on bread and taking a vitamin pill, there is now much better complete or just natural pellets available and for those adamant against their use at least read the latest threads etc on the success thats now being found using them if only in the winter.
I do use pellets too, forgot to add that in my previous post.

I feel i provide a balanced diet for my own tortoise, it's not like i'm sprinkling it on iceberg and hoping for the best. I agree with what your saying, but sometimes like this week when my weeds froze, i only had 3 varieties to offer, and feel it's nice to add extra taste on to it. Because it says it has excellent ratios of calcium and phosphorus that's why i don't add any other suppliments.

I suppose it's like having ketchup with your chips?

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'

Last edited by Zen; 12-12-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
Pussygalore
Adult

Zen, my way of thinking is that if you are feeding a good pellet even if just a few times a week you are hopefully making up any shortfall in the green diet, its partly why I feed them. I'm not a 'plantologist' and I think you need to be if you try to make a balanced diet by plants alone, we grow weeds/plants through the summer but even in the greenhouse they have now stopped growing so I like many resort to bagged food from the shop. I don't feel so guilty by using the Exotic leaf eater and pre alpine baby or cobs plus when I can get them I use the Nutrazu which I alternate with the leaf eater. Its fine to add the sprinkle as a taste but my concern is that some might think by adding it it will make a poor weed diet into a good one, its an extra supplement and one that isn't needed if you use nutrobol, its not instead of nutrobol and therefore to be considered a tasty treat even though it adds goodness its not enough by itself.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

The biggest ingredient of it is plantain which where I live anyway is one of the hardiest plants and can grow in the coldest months of the year.