Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
As with all feeding product's i like to look into deep , is it not similar to the old Tortoise Dust by likes of T-Rex but without many more plant's.
It would also be very benificial if the break down/make up/chemical list of the 12 plant's could be passed on to the Tortoise keeper's. If the research has gone this far.
The other thing that is confusing in the list if the product if used freely is, the plant's of Chickweed, Clover, Bindweed, Dandelion, Opuntia are on other Tort list's/sites to be fed sparingly for the chemical contents. High Oxalates as one. Russian Vine, Fallopia Baldschuan, is unknown in the chemical makeup of the plant, toxic or not. Some at Kew must know .
What would you be feeding your tortoises then if not quite a few on this list? I have been feeding four of these quite regularly for decades! Dandelions become almost a staple at certain times of year!
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
shellonia
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
can it be sniffed up a rolled up tenner?
Now there's a thought and what a surprise that it came from you my friend!That certainly would be evolving husbandry!
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Pussygalore
Adult

are we talking about the 'dusting powder' surely if that is the case the actual amount eaten would be minimal, only a taste, so wouldn't be much use as a food?. If it was available in a pellet form which could be used as part of the diet/food that would be different but then that wouldn't be much different from the Alpine products, they already do a 'baby' which is ground up but still intended to be fed as food, I mix it with the exotic leaf eater pellets. Sorry but I think its another way for someone to make some money and as I've said the amount used is simply a taste a bit like sprinkles on a cupcake. If you really want to use a ground up mixed weed food then consider the 'baby' Alpine its seems to be much the same but is a proper food here's the link http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page8.htm can I also add that with the baby you get enough to fill a Kelly's Ice cream tub which is quite a bit, the bigger cobs are basically the same for older tortoises but you can break them up easily just have larger lengths of the ingrediants.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 12-12-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Thanks Ann, I really though we were on to a good thing, nevermind, Ill have to get some "baby" for my babies!
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

That's where folk have different ideas, dandelion is a diuretic and can cause a tort to become dehydrated quite quickly if it's a young one but might be fine or less of a problem in older ones. Dehydration can lead to pyramiding according to some, as well as bladder stones obviously.

Everyone has their own way, none of which is neccessarily the right or wrong way except in extreme cases that we see crop up now and again. This forum may be slightly different to others because it doesn't dictate to people what they must do but instead offers a variety of opinions which means the user has to take the information in then decide what's best for them.

There are websites which say do it this way and people who follow blindly just do it.

I knew a guy who had 45 years experience of being a joiner, you'd think he'd be good at it after all that time but no, he was crap and he'd trained countless apprentices to be crap too. Hopefully when they realised in later years that was the case they started to do things differently
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
Pussygalore
Adult

well I'm not saying it isn't any good but have a look at the Alpine products first, I'm useless at links but the Alpine does have its own website which tells you more about the products you'll need to put in the name though to find it. All I'm saying is that's there's already a good feed which doesn't contain anything but natural products and is intended to be properly 'fed' rather than just a taster. I've used both 'baby' and the cobs, redfootmarg uses the cobs and I beleive also occassionally sells them, they are just a lot coarser than the baby and I found some of the bits, after soaking, were a bit big for tinies but that's just me being fussy.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I said in another thread about the Pre Alpin being a bit of a disappointment and that it appeared to be mostly grass - Paul says that's because it is mostly grass, and I wondered if I'd be just as well sprinkling chopped hay on the food as fibre because that's all it is anyway, a filler as Ed calls it. The fact that it's from Alpine meadows (where there are no torts) is a bit of a selling point I think to make people think of good clean healthy air etc. I'm still using it but not overly impressed.

I'm not sure about this new powder either, would you sprinkle it on bagged salad? I don't see the point, it would be better not powdered but left in a form maybe like the size of tea leaves or larger
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
Pussygalore
Adult

have you looked at the baby Alan, but I mix either with exotic leaf eater and they'll eat it like that, it puts the roughage/fibre content up
Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
shellonia
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelled Lady View Post
Thanks Ann, I really though we were on to a good thing, nevermind, Ill have to get some "baby" for my babies!
How come it's suddenly not a 'good thing'?It's the fact that it's concentrated and you can be as liberal as you like with it that's important.I have no reason to promote it except that I've known the researcher for years and know how much time and money has been spent on it.In actual fact he told me at the end of the day he profits by only 50p per pot
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
Pussygalore
Adult

no one said it wasn't a good thing but many might be under the impression that its a food and not just a sprinkled on taster, to be honest I can't see the point. In the winter when people find it hard to find enough choice in greenery and do choose to add either a complete pellet such as exotic leaf eater or a cob or similar the product doesn't fit the need, unless you don't sprinkle it and feed it by the teaspoon as a food in which case you'd need far more than a tub. It doesn't contain any calcium or vit/minerals so can't really be called a supplement, like I said before its a treat or taste of something, not enough to be called food. If it was being sold by the bag in bigger quantities it might then be more usefull, I can buy a bag of 'baby' pre alpine which CAN be fed as a food and isn't a lot different in that its a natural product which nothing else added, it will fill a decent size tub and last for several weeks being fed a couple of teaspoons with something else or in the amounts suggested on the linked website. I'm not saying its better but it might be more suitable for those who are looking for a proper food not just a treat. I doubt that sprinkling a small amount of the product would make up a diet that is often poor in the winter months and many new or novice owners might think just that, and as it still has to be used with nutrobal or similar I'm sorry but I can't see where it fits into a diet, as a sprinkle, apart from as a treat, I'd like to know how much you'd need to feed to make a poor diet a good one, I'll bet its a lot more than a shake.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 12-12-2011 at 12:40 PM.