Easter Bunny
Adult

I'm never using solarglo c..p again
Old 13-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #32
TortBabe
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER View Post
My ceramic holders blew aswell but I just changed the fuse so they are ok now. If you've still got them just replace the fuse in the plug,
I did change the fuse they were dead as a doormat Lynne So they went in the bin, I'd never buy exo terra again
Old 13-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #33
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hello one and all, I do indeed follow lighting threads when I get five mins.

M.V lamps are a fickle beast. They are hand made to start with and everyone will be slightly different.

We actually spent 8 years on R and D with our offering, far too long really but we have had very few problems with it, stable UV output over a long period and very few failures. They also have a very wide area of emission for a M.V lamp of around 50 degrees

The Arcadia lamps is also guaranteed for one whole year, no quibble.this protects the consumer from those niggly issues.

They will run on any E27 fitting that is rated accordingly. Personally as you know we don't believe that in many cases the use of a single M.V lamp is providing enough energy to properly provide a photo gradient. We recommend the use of the high output T5 system to generate a decent area of exposure across roughly two thirds of the living space and then use the M,V to provide a strong hot spot.

Always willing to advise

John.
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #34
Pussygalore
Adult

I must be the exception I've never had trouble with the solarglow and replace them every 6 months or so with the old ones going to the outside torts, I do use a ceramic that will take much more than the bulb wattage and make sure they are hung vertically and have plenty of air. I've just brought a arcadia for Bolder and its definately brighter than the solar glow but as I feed pellets as well as greenery I've never been too worried about the uv output, besides each new batch of hatchling has a new bulb and are usually gone well within the 6 months. I've used my lights on a timer and manually switching them on/off, I don't touch/fiddle with them and the room is warm,I don't know whether the room temp makes a difference but my tort room doesn't get very cold even at night. Anyway I have lots of old bulbs that are still good for heat/light just no good for uv, they certainly haven't blown.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #35
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I think I've only ever had three bulbs that have blown. One Megaray that blew the first time I put it on, one Solarglo that blew after about a year and another Megaray that blew after about 10 months or something so apart from that first one, nothing out of the ordinary really.

I think sometimes bulbs may not be getting a good contact with the holder and as an electrician said in one thread, the electricity jumps the gap between the bulb contact point and copper contact in the holder making it more liable to blow. Levering the copper contact up slightly can help. SWITCH OFF AND UNPLUG FIRST
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #36
EJ
Adult

Once again... the MVB are extremely sensitive to power surges. They do not tolerate variences in power. If the surge is too extreme... they cut out or blow out. This is why I'm interested in the fluorescent type UV lights and suggest others look into the same.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
Easter Bunny
Adult

I got an email back fro Exo-Terra and they will be willing to replace the bulb free of charge if I send it back to them, What a nice gesture

I'll keep it as a spare because I'm going onto Arcadia now xxx