Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 11-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
it always amazes me how cows and other large animals that graze survive on just grass mostly. I doubt if tortoises actually need much nutrition at all to get by
i think with any animal that grazes its down to their ability to extract the nutrients.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #22
EJ
Adult

Totally different digestive system... tortoises digestive systems are most closely related to horses an bunnies. Ruminants have multicamber stomachs/digestive systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
i think with any animal that grazes its down to their ability to extract the nutrients.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
EJ
Adult

See... we agree on something...

Quote:
and
Old 11-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
terrypin
Adult

makes a change Ed

cows are ruminants. Most ruminants, including the cow, have four stomachs, although camels and some other ruminants have three. The first stomach chamber is called the rumen. This is the chamber in which large amounts of food are stored and softened.
After the food is processed and softened in the rumen, it is regurgitated. This substance is called the cud and is chewed again. The chewed cud goes directly to the other chambers of the stomach. In the cow, these chambers are, in order, the reticulum, omasum, and abomasum. Once the cud arrives in these chambers, additional digestion occurs.
terry
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
terrypin
Adult

if you look there is more.

Surprisingly the turtle’s intestinal tract lacks a fermentation chamber (like the rumen of mammalian herbivores) that would aid in the breakdown of plant cellulose. In most turtles, once the food has entered the intestinal tract it takes a long time for it to pass through the intestines. In some cases (tortoises) it may take up to four weeks for digested material to leave the body. This lengthy passage ensures the turtle an optimum nutritional benefit from their food. Some experts believe that up to 30% of the ingested cellulose is broken down in the intestine. This digestion is aided by commensal bacteria and other micro-organisms. Any excess energy is converted to and stored as fat. Unlike mammals who have fat deposits just beneath the skin, turtles store theirs within the abdomen in fat bodies. This ensures that the fat deposits will not have any insulating properties (as in mammals), and therefore will not interfere with thermoregulation. These fat stores supply the turtle with the necessary energy for hibernation. The energy requirements of these reptiles is surprisingly low. For example studies have shown that a Red-footed tortoise (4.3 kg) needs only 185 grams of banana to meet the energy requirements for a four week period. Once the turtle’s low energy expenditure has been realized, it is no surprise that these incredible creatures have been able to exist on earth for so long. The digestive system of the turtle terminates at the cloaca. This structure is similar to the rectum of mammalian tracts, and voids wastes from the digestive tract and kidneys via the anus.
Source(s):

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/Biology/H…
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
EJ
Adult

You are 100% correct.

I think I said that Tortoises have a more closely related digestive system to bunnies an horses. No change on my part.

Bunnies have a habit of running the feceas through a second time... sound familiar?

Quote:
makes a change Ed

cows are ruminants. Most ruminants, including the cow, have four stomachs, although camels and some other ruminants have three. The first stomach chamber is called the rumen. This is the chamber in which large amounts of food are stored and softened.
After the food is processed and softened in the rumen, it is regurgitated. This substance is called the cud and is chewed again. The chewed cud goes directly to the other chambers of the stomach. In the cow, these chambers are, in order, the reticulum, omasum, and abomasum. Once the cud arrives in these chambers, additional digestion occurs.
terry
and
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #27
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
if you look there is more.

Surprisingly the turtle’s intestinal tract lacks a fermentation chamber (like the rumen of mammalian herbivores) that would aid in the breakdown of plant cellulose. In most turtles, once the food has entered the intestinal tract it takes a long time for it to pass through the intestines. In some cases (tortoises) it may take up to four weeks for digested material to leave the body. This lengthy passage ensures the turtle an optimum nutritional benefit from their food. Some experts believe that up to 30% of the ingested cellulose is broken down in the intestine. This digestion is aided by commensal bacteria and other micro-organisms. Any excess energy is converted to and stored as fat. Unlike mammals who have fat deposits just beneath the skin, turtles store theirs within the abdomen in fat bodies. This ensures that the fat deposits will not have any insulating properties (as in mammals), and therefore will not interfere with thermoregulation. These fat stores supply the turtle with the necessary energy for hibernation. The energy requirements of these reptiles is surprisingly low. For example studies have shown that a Red-footed tortoise (4.3 kg) needs only 185 grams of banana to meet the energy requirements for a four week period. Once the turtle’s low energy expenditure has been realized, it is no surprise that these incredible creatures have been able to exist on earth for so long. The digestive system of the turtle terminates at the cloaca. This structure is similar to the rectum of mammalian tracts, and voids wastes from the digestive tract and kidneys via the anus.
Source(s):

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/Biology/H…
you got it there terry
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #28
Kirkie
Adult

Nice work Terry. 185g of bananas is about 156 calories. (I eat a lot of bananas).
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #29
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Have a look at this:

http://www.cebc.cnrs.fr/publipdf/2006/EJAE64.pdf

A study of T Graeca Graeca feeding in an agriculturally overgrazed area. 8 main plant species consumed, higher protein legimues sought out.
Thank's for the link Kirkie .
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #30
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
makes a change Ed

terry
I knew cows had 4 stomachs (like me ) what do you make of the sloth? I find it amazing they can starve to death on a full stomach, have a look at this http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=45442
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote