Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Is this enough nutrient's

This is my little Leopard grazing as he does, safe? plant's and flower's on offer out of shot, also brought in weed's, chopped hay fed. Apart from all the other unknown protein like insect's slug's ect that i don't see him devour except for a slug and a worm once. Plus supplement's about twice a week and water.
If i was to take away the twice a week pellet's fed for about nearly three years now and maybe recently Pre Alpin occasionly. Would the nutrition be met.

There is no such independent authority for reptile nutrition..
As a result, the nutritional requirements of reptiles for almost all groups of nutrients is unknown.
Opinion's welcome .
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

I'm guessing ..... nope. If a tort were to get 100% nutrients and all the little micro nutrients etc a day through plants then wouldnt they be over eating? Thats what it is for humans anyway.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Kirkie
Adult

Quite possibly.

People seem to have utterly forgotton what these animals are capable of.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

We don't give them enough credit for what they are capable of, bearing in mind they were here way before us!! I believe they have been walking earth for at least 200 million years Humans about 200,000 years ............

It's a bit like teaching your granny to suck eggs lol xxxx
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
terrypin
Adult

this is one of my adult leopards,she has had no supplementary feeding since probably the end of april.she has survived by grazing in her enclosure.please click on the picture.this area is not particularly well planted mostly natural graze including grass, trefoil, some clover and thistle.there is a little sowthistle,dandelion,plantain and mallow, which they dont seem to seek out in particular.they actually seem more interested in the grass when it has been cut really short.
terry
Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Quite possibly.

People seem to have utterly forgotton what these animals are capable of.
True there very adaptable, but if you try and replicate the best you can on the feeding side, don't some breed's gourge food in good time's and barely get by in drought. This would mean supplying say spring, food glut's then almost withhold later in the year to try and replicate. Instead they (we think) adapt to our sometimes preached little and often feeding method's, mainly in tables and pen's. This is not natural feeding or is it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
this is one of my adult leopards,she has had no supplementary feeding since probably the end of april.she has survived by grazing in her enclosure.please click on the picture.this area is not particularly well planted mostly natural graze including grass, trefoil, some clover and thistle.there is a little sowthistle,dandelion,plantain and mallow, which they dont seem to seek out in particular.they actually seem more interested in the grass when it has been cut really short.
terry
Very nice love watching them graze, they do seem to go for short cropped leaving the long stuff . My two can graze through a fair amount one day then eat not as vigourous the next. Could it be balancing out or fermenting in the gut.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

I don't think tortoises would gorge unless their body needed them to. I keep Russians who are supposed to be ravenously greedy in the wild but to me they eat their fill and leave the rest. They probably pig out in the wild because they have to in order to survive hibernation and be able to breed in the short time available. My tortoises don't and I think they're feeding habits have adjusted for this.

I think your tortoise will get what it needs from a well planted enclosure. You could just leave cuttlefish bones lying around if your concerned about calcium.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
gazinbrid
Hatched

looking good paul
gazinbrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

I'd assume that if like sully's they are grazers with grass being the main diet then they'd need, like other grazers, to eat most of the waking hours simply to get enough from a grass diet. I would also think it would be the other 'extra' foods given that would be a prob if any not the constant grazing on a lawn.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote